Fresh water pump replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

bmcphillips

As part of Winterization, I had to drain the fresh water tanks and noted very slow flow from both the galley and head sinks.  I measured flow at < 0.5 gpm so I think my  very rusty 1994 Shurflo is ready for retirement.  I see many options in West Marine and Defender for replacement and wonder if anyone can offer guidance as far as brand quality, noise levels, recommended flow rates, etc.  Right now I just have the 2 sinks but am thinking of adding the new Whale stern ladder shower which would be T-ed off a cold water hose.  Thanks for any help.
Brian McPhillips
Analgesic #584

Stu Jackson

Brain,

The OEM we have is a Shurflo 2.8 GPM -- Model # 2088-423-344.

I've gone through the same ?s you have.  Mine still works, but it's 23 years old!  

I bought a Shurflo 3901-0216.  Not installed, in storage onboard just in case.  You may want to consider this approach, too.  Look for a sale.  I did for quite a while.

I'd looked at the specs for comparative models and this was one of the newer varieties.   I think they may have discontinued the OEM model about a year ago.

A 2 GPM pump will also do, 3 works fine, too.  It's not so much the GPM, since you'll rarely, if ever, use two faucets and the aft shower at the same time.  Both will overcome the pipe pressure drops, even going aft.

Your choice if you want an accumulator tank.  The newer ones are variable speed pumps with less noise.  I LIKE the noise: don't use it at night and warns of leaks!

Other issues: footprint and outlet hose connections.  The new Shurflo is a straight swapout using the same fittings.

With your low flow, I'd first check out the strainers in the faucets and the filter, usually under the galley sink.  Either those pumps work or they don't, rarely reduce flow on their own.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Brian : I believe that 35psi is about what you want - as most C34 owners seldom have more than one faucet open at a time.  

Looking at West Marine, I see that the Jabsco pump looks just like the old Flowjet pump which I have.  I like the Flowjet as it doesn't require an accumulator tank and I really like the IN and OUT quick connections(especially during winterization).

What I suggest is that you go to a store to look at the pumps & read the literature. Then buy from the "lowest bidder".  Don't forget the internet, as many sites have free shipping !!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

The aft shower is great!  I would suggest having both hot and cold, it is not that much more work and the warm water sure feels good when the water/air is cold.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

StephenK

I recently replaced the original ShurFlo on my 1992 C-30 and went with the Jabsco Par-Max 3.0 from West Marine (rated at 3 gallon per minute and part #31395-3000). I got it on sale and I think it was under $90. It also had the "quick connections" and the swap out was pretty easy. The pump is much quieter than the original and I have been quite satisfied with it...I would buy the same one again.  :thumb:

Tom Soko

Brian,
Let me put in my vote for a JABSCO SENSOR-MAX VSD, 31755 SERIES.  Very quiet, and seems to use fewer amps than the non-vairable speed pumps. Also has quick connect fittings.  Plenty of pressure for multiple outlets.  I would also suggest plumbing both hot and cold to the cockpit shower.  Cold only is good for the BVIs, but tough anywhere north of there!
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT