Cabin Light Fixtures

Previous topic - Next topic

Stewartn

Anyone know who the original mfgr was for the recessed cabin lights on 34 MkII. Looking to replace a couple with LED fixtures that will fit the original molded recess in the head liner. Thx. 
Stewart Napoleon, Hull #1472, Desiree
Greenwich, CT

Jim Hardesty

I'm happy with my bulb replacments.  www.superbrightleds.com  The part numbers that I used are on the boat.  If you want I'll get them.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Joe Kern

Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

c34no1471

A year ago I replaced all the cabin lights on my year 2000 MKII with the Cruising Solutions MR16 LED light.  It is a direct replacement and an excellent fit, but I don't see it listed on their website at the moment (cruisingsolutions.com).  At the time it cost $30.
George Alberts
Breezing Up, Catalina 34 MKII
Hull No. 1471
Chesapeake Bay

Jim Hardesty

Mike,  This is what I used,  used the 1st one in the berths for reading, the festoons go in the round fixtures that are over my sink & head, the last one I put in the salon. I tried one bulb each then liked them well enough to change the rest.  After most of one season they are working better than I expected.    Jim
============================================================
  1 | G4B-WHP4-D White LED lamp                |  $ 11.95 |
        Warm White G4B-WWHP4-D  
------------------------------------------------------------
  2 | High Power 6-LED Festoon bulb            |  $ 14.95 |
        Warm White - 3100K  37mm 3710-xHP6  
  1 | G4B-WHP10-D White LED Lamp               |  $ 14.95 |
        Warm White G4B-WWHP10-D  
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

tonywright

Thanks for the info Jim. I have become wary of LED's after reading the following:

"...according to the FTC, in its advertising and packaging Lights of America overstated the advantages of its bulbs.

The consumer protection agency said it used Lights of America's own testing data to prove that its claims were overblown. Light intensity is measured in lumens, and one bulb promoted as producing 90 lumens allegedly tested at 43 lumens, less than half what the company claimed.

The company also claimed that one of its lantern bulbs could replace a 40-watt incandescent bulb, which produces about 400 lumens. The LED bulb allegedly only produced 74 lumens, well short of what was promised.

Lights of America also claimed in its promotional materials that its LED bulbs would last 30,000 hours. But independent testing showed the bulbs lost 80 per cent of their light output after 1,000 hours."

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2010/09/08/con-light-claims.html#ixzz0zRhVA6zQ

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Jim Hardesty

Tony,
I think that my lights are just as bright, the festoon much brighter, than with the regular bulbs.  The difference is LEDs are much cooler and use less power.  Thats what I wanted.   The light is perhaps a bit whiter but it's really hard to tell even side by side.
I could feel the difference in heat reading in the vberth on hot nights.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

horsemel

I replaced all of my dome light bulbs with led bulbs and I am very happy with the result.  I used a red bulb over the nav station and the warm white ones for the others.  I got them from SuperBrite LED's.  They put out very nearly the same light at the bulbs they replaced using 10% of the energy (by my rough measurement) and do not put out the huge amount of heat that the old ones did.  the warm yellow is not the color you get from a normal incandescent bulb, but we like it much better than the white ones.  It really is a worthwhile change to make.  SuperBrite has a great website and their customer service people were very helpful in answering questions and making recommendations.  Service was prompt.  One of the bulbs did not work when inserted in the fixture.  I followed their procedure for returning it and had the replacement inside a week.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

chuck53

I just ordered some bulbs from superbrightleds and they were very prompt.  Got them a couple days sooner than I expected.  I ordered them last Tuesday night, meaning they mailed them (actual snail mail) on Wednesday and I got them on Friday, from Missouri to VA.

I am sending them back for these reasons:
The model 1142 bulbs I got for my forward and aft cabin reading lights were the cool white, meaning they cast a very blue light that I didn't care for it.  Unfortunately, they don't offer that bulb in either the natural or warm white which I would much prefer.
I ordered 8 festoons for my salon lights and I did order the natural white but when I plugged them in, I'm sure I got the cool white in error.  Again, the blue that I didn't care for.  I'm asking them to check and let me know what I actually got.
I will probably re-order the festoons but in the warm white.  Not sure what I'm going to do with my reading lights.