Can anyone explain this project a bit more for me?

Previous topic - Next topic

Herodotus

I have a 1987 MK I and am always looking for more storage.

Following this link, http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Aft_Locker_Refit_-_Mk_I, must I remove the port side lazarette bottom to get this storage? Seems like a point of no return. Thoughts?

Thanks so much

Herodotus
Hull #271
New Orleans

chuck53

You're looking at the aft lazarette, not the port side.  If I'm not mistaken (I've only had my C-34 a few months, also a 1987), the fuel tank is under the port lazarette.

sailaway

more storage. I cut a square hole above the head and put in a teak door. Lots of room to store toilet paper. I also cut a round hole under the teak seat in the head. There I installed a beckson water tight  port.  lots of room down there. Charlie

Ron Hill

Her : No you don't have to do anything to the port side locker.

What Steve did was make a hanging cloth storage (3 section) bag.  He removed the propane box and secures the bag on all sides to hold it up.
I like the installation, but can't use it on my boat as I still need the propane locker and wouldn't like the starboard side of the bag blocking (air flow) my compressor unit for the fridge.

Sailaway made the head modifications for more storage that I did back in the early 1990's.  You'd be surprised how much more "stuff" you can store.  A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

waterdog

Herodotus,

I can answer any questions on this.   Ron has basically covered it.   There are no changes in the port side lazarette - your fuel tank is under there.   The modification is entirely to the aft locker.    There are three changes:

1) removal of the propane locker (unless you are CNG) - I moved my bottles to a platform on the aft rail.  Now I have four times the propane capacity and greatly increased storage. 
2) cut the shelf down to size for better access
3) dividing the aft locker up with canvas bags - I used an old sail

The change is entirely reversible - if you decide you want to move the propane back at some future date - for example if you were selling the boat and didn't want clutter on the back rail.

You could also add the bags without getting rid of the propane locker.  I'm not sure how much of an improvement that would be.  I'm thrilled with the modification.   I easily move five gallon buckets with my prawn lines and five gallon diesel jugs in and out of the locker.   Lot's of room now.   I would do this again in a heartbeat.   

Steve
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Herodotus

Boy, do I know how to make an oops entrance. Ah well, thanks guys!

Currently, I'm cleaning house/repairing lines, stanchions, life lines and missing windex. When I'm out tomorrow, I'm cataloging the contents of those two lazarettes.

I think the first BIG project is A/C. Or it might be the mahogany grates or maybe the...you get it. Awesome site, glad to be a member.

Herodotus 

Lance Jones

IF you're looking for more storage space, these are the areas I've added access to via either hatches or doors.
Head:
Under the teak seat (Hatch)
Will add door behind head soon.

Main Salon
Added door to the forward dinett

V-Berth:
Added a door on each side under the V-berth insert.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Steve Sayian

Added a double door under vee berth filler and a single to starboard.

Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Jim Hardesty

The easist and best that I have found so far is 3 plastic see thru storage containers from Wallmart.  2 tall and 1 shorter that just fit on the shelf above the vberth.  As nothing was breakable I didn't secure them and found that it wasn't necessary.  My wife and I split it evenly....2 for her 1 for me.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ken Juul

You may want to plan and execute your air/con project first.  Many of the suggested places for extra storage in the cabin are also good choices for the a/c compresser and ducting.

I have a Mk 1.5 with the walk thru so I don't have all the space in the aft lazarette that you do.  Be creative in how you use it, we are always looking for new ideas.  Be wary of the steering quadrant and cables.  Want to keep things clear of them so they don't get fouled.

Another thing to keep in mind is the C34 usually has a couple degree list to port.  After a while you don't even notice it.  May want to avoid storage solutions that add weight to the port side.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

chuck53

Quote from: Herodotus on September 07, 2010, 07:39:51 PM

I think the first BIG project is A/C. Or it might be the mahogany grates or maybe the...you get it. Awesome site, glad to be a member.

Herodotus 

Where do you think you will put the AC?  I just did mine a few months ago.

Herodotus

Thanks for the continued responses, everyone. Many of those storage ideas i have seen before, but some I haven't thought to examine. I'm off of work will 11AM and will make a recon tomorrow to check out the aft berth.

QuoteWhere do you think you will put the AC?  I just did mine a few months ago.

I'm considering putting a 16,500 BTU mermaid in the V Berth and running hoses into said v berth, main salon and the aft berth. Or maybe move it into either setee storage. Will this be enough juice to pump the air throughout?

OR...get an 8,000 BTU for the V and main and a 4,000 BTU for the aft.

But again, this is questionable. The idea is to sail her to the Caribbean next July and mooring in the USVI for the season. I don't expect to be marina'd all that much. I suppose then that the ideal sleeping arrangment might be in the v berth. Thoughts?

Lance Jones

H,
As to sleeping arrangements...My wife an I live aboard our boat. We started out in the aft berth -- great for those cold winter nights -- but migrated first to the starboard dinette when it got warmer and then finally to the v-berth. I can safely say we've slept in all possible configurations of a 1988 C-34. Without a doubt, the v-berth is the best location to reside. We have what amounts to a king/queen size bed at our shoulders and it gives us plenty of room for our Jack Russell to join us.

One note, if your V-berth insert does not have a latch, tab, hook or some device to keep it in place -- add it ASAP as you will knock it out of the runners and it, and possibly you, will fall on the floor! Great location to sleep though.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

chuck53

I just put a 16k BTU unit in my boat a few months ago.  I put mine in the storage cabinet next to the nav station.  Since the previous owner had done away with the head Y-valve, I was able to use the seacock the Y-valve was connected to.
We modified the louvered door for both air output and return.  I don't have vents going to either cabin.  Yes, both fore and aft cabins still get warm in the daytime, no big deal as I'm not in them anyway, but they are plenty cool at night.
By doing it this way, I saved a bunch of money on the installation costs.