New (partial) Owner 2nd Wish WIRING HARNESS UPGRADE w/flix

Previous topic - Next topic

2ndwish

Hello Everyone- I recently became part owner of 2nd Wish, Hull #464 in Long Beach, CA. The other partner is PO Len Hirsch. I had been sailing with Len for several years and he kindly invited me to become partner. Before accepting, I spent many hours reading this forum, a wealth of information, and wanted to thank all of the dedicated owners (Registrants?)  for their valuable time spent helping so many.

Len and I have begun to tackle some of the more critical upgrades and maintenance issues. I'd be happy to share our experiences in these endeavors. We tackled the engine wiring harness yesterday- a typical 6 hour / 2 hour job, and we are now the proud possessors of 4 rather shocking looking connectors (see attached photos). I will post (in another thread) a list of a few things I learned, to help others in the future. We also replaced the engine sound insulation, a very messy job indeed and learned a few things there too. For owners of older C34s, if you were wondering where all that black stuff was coming from near the companionway...

Len has been and we will continue to be a C34IA member.  I look forward to future interactions with the rest of the C34 owners.

Todd Gaier    (and Len Hirsch)
S/V 2nd Wish

Linked on the Critical Upgrades page [Stu]

Ron Hill

Todd : Both you and Len are lucky that your old "trailer connectors" are still in one piece and that you haven't had a problem.  Kind of tells me the engine has not been used that much. 
Great and necessary upgrade - and not a minute too soon!!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

2ndwish

Ron- The connectors were taped over and bound together by a cable tie under the tape. The most disturbing thing wasn't the cracked housing, but the insulation (housing material) which was completely missing around some of the pins and sockets. The rubber molded connector (Medallion)on the engine side seems to have weathered the ages better than the  plastic ones in the photo. The contacts themselves were in surprisingly good condition.

The engine has ~1050 hours on it.

Todd

2nd Wish, Hull #464

This goes on further, here:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5866.0.html