Oh Boy, I Found The Leak!

Previous topic - Next topic

DEMERY

I have a 1990 Catalina 34. I’ve noticed there has been additional water collecting in the bilge. Upon further inspection I’ve determined that the water is entering the boat at the base of the rudder post. You can actually see the water beading up on the fiberglass and then dripping into the small bilge area directly in front of the rudder post. It does not appear to be coming from the rudder post packing gland or from the rear fresh water tank. I had the boat hauled in May for bottom paint and inspected the haul and saw no visible damage to the rudder or haul. Any thoughts or suggestions before I call the yard and break out the Visa.

Thanks, Dave

hdevera

Small amounts of water dripping from the rudder post is not uncommon.  My last boat was a valiant 42 and it did the same.  I wouldn't spend any money on it unless it really bothered you or it was causing the bilge pump to cycle at a noticable rate.  My Catalina 34 (hull#1554) has water accumulating from the rudder post and with the occassional cleaning of the area, I have never heard the bilge pump cycle on because of the water drips.  Good luck and I hope your leak isn't serious.