In boom furling

Previous topic - Next topic

chuck53

Does anyone have it or know someone who does?
Looking for comments, good, bad and ugly.  How do the different brands stack up?
Approximate cost to refit a C-34.  Do you have to replace the sail or can you refit the current sail?
I think I would enjoy sailing a lot more with main furling. 
My first sailboat was a C-30 that had no headsail roller furling and I love having it on my C-34.  I'm thinking I will love having the main with roller furling as well.

Ron Hill

Chuck : I've done some checking at the boat shows.  The price is EXORBINATE !!  They want about $15,000+ for the boom roller furling on a C34 and you'll have to get a new main sail!! 
I checked a couple of brands and they were similar in price. 
Boom roller furling would be nice, but I couldn't see paying more than a third again of the price of a new engine!!
Ron, Apache #788

chuck53

Ron, thanks for getting back to me.  At $15k plus the cost of a new sail, in-boom roller furling is out of the question unless I win the lottery.  Of course, if I win the lottery, I'm buying a new boat with all the bells and whistles already installed.
If I had a fairly new boat, I might consider making that kind of investment but for a 1987, 34 footer, no way.

cmainprize

Ron, have you considered a stack pak (or similar version)?  We love ours and I can't recall anyone regretting buying one.  Like anything, it too has some drawbacks but it sure makes life easy shorthanded.

Cory
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Ron Hill

Cory : A Stack Pack or Lazy Jacks (which I have) are NOT main sail roller furling by any stretch of the imagination !!  
Ron, Apache #788

Ted Pounds

Ron, I think Cory meant to address his post to Chuck not you?  Just a thought...  :D
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

cmainprize

My post was for the orignal poster.  Sorry Ron.  I was just trying to offer and idea to make mail sail handling a little easier without spending 15K.
I will be more carefull in the future.

Cory
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario