Bilge Pump

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

My wife pointed out that our bilge pump was running constantly. After being a paratrooper and then moving into Artillery, I'm somewhat hard of hearing and didn't notice the sound. I quickly inspected the bilges for high water and found none. I switched the panel switch to manual and back to automatic. I also switched the pump to off (I have an intermediate switch). No joy!

I finally had to cut the wire to turn it off. Have any of you salts experienced a similar problem with the Rule 500gph automatic pumps? If so, what was your solution?

Cheers!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Roger Blake

Similar problem with my pump...float switch was stuck (on)...replaced the float switch.
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

Lance Jones

Roger,
This version has an internal switch.

Thanks!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Luffer

Internal float switch-replace the pump..

Ron Hill

Lance : Do you mean Rule 5000 and not 500 gpm pump ?
I use an external Super (float) Switch and have never had a problem. 
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

This is the version I have (500gph) http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=34067&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10111&subdeptNum=10623&classNum=10624. This is the primary bilge pump in the aft bilge -- too tight a space to add float switch (I think). My secondary bilge pump has a float switch and is not an issue.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ken Juul

I'll have to check this weekend, but I think I have 2 pumps connected to one float switch.  It probably makes sense to add a second float switch to the middle compartment and wire it to the aft pump so I have some redundancy.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

lucky

Pogmusic
From one old paratrooper to another,your switch is probably stuck ,replace switch or pump.
Al Landry
Lucky hull#13
c34

Lance Jones

All the way Al! Thanks for your Airborne Service. What unit and when?
I'm picking up a new pump this week. Thanks to everyone -- again -- for the great insights!!!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

lucky

Pogmusic
82nd 504pir 11th signal corp 1956 to 1959.Keep your knees to the breeze
Al
lucky
hull# 13

Lance Jones

Al -- Airborne!
In the 82nd, I was 1/319th FA as a forward observer supporting A1/508. Served in the early 80's in the 82nd and other airborne units. Was medicalled out in 91.

That's the only reason I took Al's advice to replace the pump 'cause he's AIRBORNE!  :thumb:

I had to get back on topic or y'all would have fried me! :D
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622