Deck Fill Covers

Previous topic - Next topic

shanagolden

I bought new deck fill covers for the fresh water, fuel and holding tank pump-out. They have little chains attached to them. Where - how do you attach the end of the chain in the fill pipe ?

Only one of the old ones had a chain on it and I can't seem to see what it is attached to in the fill pipe.

Any thoughts on this puzzling issue would be most appreciated.

Stu Jackson

Take the chains off the caps.  People tend to depend on them, and when they break you lose the caps overboard.  I remove the chains and place the caps in the cockpit whenever I take one off.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Peggie Hall

Look inside the "pipe"..you'll find a little ring or similar that the chain attaches to...ONLY chain the water and fuel caps, not the waste cap. 'Cuz a chain on the waste cap prevents the pumpout from getting a seal. So ALWAYS remove that one carefully and put it in your pocket or set it inside the gunwales in the cockpit...never set it down where it can get knocked into the water...or if you do, keep a couple of spares on hand...'cuz it WILL go into the drink.
Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since 1987
Author "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors - A Guide To Marine Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Boat-Odors/dp/1892399784/

Paulus

If you replace your hoses or take one off you will find a screw inside the metal pipe about half inch from the bottom.  This is were the little chain is anchored.
Cool Change 1989 #944

Indian Falls

Use super glue to fix that little screw to the end of your screwdriver first... or have about 6 of those little screws handy.

Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Ron Hill

Guys : I agree with Peggie on the waste fill cap for he reason she mentioned.
I also agree with Stu on the water caps as you can put your finger in the winch hole, so not to loose it when taking it OFF or putting it ON.

However, if you have replaced your fuel cap with a stainless fixture, I'd recommend that you chain that dude to the fill assembly.  Reason is if you loose it overboard you may not easily find a replacement!!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788