Loose steering wheel spokes

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Madden

Does anyone have recommendations on eliminating excessive play in a Edson steering wheel.

My steering wheel has developed a lot of play with the spokes where they enter (connect) into the central hub.  i have tightened the central hub bolts and it seems tight and flush around.  however, there is play with several spokes at the point where they enter the central hub (i probably have about 1/2 inch of play (fore and aft) at the outer circumference of the steering wheel.  i am almost tempted to wrap some plumbing thread tape around the spokes to see if this might stiffen the wheel spokes up.

i have put quite a few miles on my boat (5,000 during the past 18 months) and in some fairly strong weather and sea conditions. i suspect this has been a contributor to the above situation.

thanks very much for any input you might provide.

tom madden
Saint Mary II
Hull # 1768

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Tom,
Perhaps you should give Edson a call and get their ideas on this. I haven't heard of this problem before.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Steve Sayian

I had the same problem a couple years ago and too the wheel to Edson (about 40 miles from my house) and they welded it for $75.00.

Whell is solid as a rock now!

I imagine you could  have any good welding shop do it that knows how to weld stainless.

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Ron Hill

Tom : If the wheel spokes are loose, then the weld/s is/are bad.  Contact Edson 508 995-9711 or as Steve mentioned have it welded locally.

I suspect that there is play in the wheel which means the cabling on the steering quadrant needs to be tightened.  Call Edson and they'll send you a booklet that tells you how to tighten the adjusting nuts.

Over time the cable doesn't stretch per say, but the metal strands lay closed together causing slack in the cable.  Another cause could be the one of the adjusting nut may have backed off allowing the other nut to also back off some.   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

waterdog

Quote from: Ron Hill on June 09, 2010, 01:16:06 PM
...I suspect that there is play in the wheel which means the cabling on the steering quadrant needs to be tightened.  Call Edson and they'll send you a booklet that tells you how to tighten the adjusting nuts.

If the play is for and aft as Tom says, it won't have anything to do with the cabling on the quadrant.   If it was side to side, it might...
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat