Opening Port Hatch Dog O-ring replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

I've developed a leak around one of my opening port hatch dogs. How difficult are the O-rings to replace and are there any steps I need to be watchful for?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ken Juul

I did it several years ago.  I do not recall it being difficult. Using a small screwdriver pop out the center cover.  This gives you access to a philips head screw.  Unscrew, remove inside handle, hold outside piece as you remove inside base, remove outside piece.  Clean well, replace o-ring and reinstall.

It looks like a standard o-ring, you can probably find replacements at a good hardware store.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Lance Jones

Thanks Ken!
Catalina Direct has an O-ring set that has enough O-rings to do all the opening ports on the boat and also a silicon lubricant for them as well. All of that for around $9.00
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

horsemel

I did mine two years ago and it was no big deal.  However one still leaked so I removed the whole unit and replaced with a new seal, time consuming but not too tough.  It still leaked.  I finally figured out that the expansion joints on each side of the outer aluminum frame were the problem.  This allow water to get in and follow the aluminum frame extrusion around to the latch, which is where it leaked out.  I sealed the expansion joints and haven't had a problem since. I assume you have the same units since you also have a 1988 boat.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Roger Blake

I replaced the O rings last season..helped...but didn't totally fix the leaking problem. Just pulled all opening ports this winter, recaulked with silicone (many others used other products...went with what the manufacturer recommended). Will see if the leak problem is gone. As a note, used a pressure washer on the boat last weekend...no leaks...so I expect a dry interior this season. I do agree, the expansion joints, especially those at 3 and 9 on the clock (the old version of the ports) are the main culprits. Can't wait to get on the water....one more weekend and I'm out there...
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414