Engine prop shaft replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

rappareems

We noticed the key going into the transmission hub at the shaft was lose the other day.  I had the local yard guy look at it and he said good thing we caught it as the key way was very warn and could have easily failed.  Rather than simply have it re-machined at a local shop I figured it would be wise to replace the old bronze shaft with stainless.  I called a couple local machine shops but they don't stock 1" rod... Waiting to call Catalina this morning (I am on Eastern time).  Any suggestions?

Additionally I am thinking that the flex-a-fold prop which I put on in 2003 may have put the extra torque on the shaft which ultimately caused the wear, it does "clunk" pretty good on opening.

Mark
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

prh77

Check Catalina Direct. They have a good web site full of running gear.
Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"

Jeff Kaplan

mark, there is a shop in salem,ma. called h&h propeller 978-744-3806 or 3832. that is where i got my replacement  1" ss shaft...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

tonywright

Catalina provided me with the best price. The shaft came complete with new coupling as well.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

jkar

Michigan Marine and Catalina were within $10 of each other, went local.  Perfect replacement.  Have the Flex-o-fold 3bld for about 8 years now, never had an isssue.  Always made sure that it was greased in the spring and has been perfect as well.  Good luck.

rappareems

Thanks for the input.  I had the shaft made in a local Buffalo machine shop... $240.  Perfect.  What did you grease the flex-o-fold with?  I noticed on my buddies folder, Martec I think..., he had grease fittings, the flex-0-fold does not.
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario