Rebedding the water intake thing-a-ma-bob.

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

I searched rebedding, water etc. However, I don't know the proper nomenclature for that place you add drinking water through the deck. Has anyone rebedded that? If so, how was that accomplished? Thanks in advance!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Lance : That "thing-a-ma-bob" is called a deck fill fitting.  This applies to the fresh water (2 fittings), fuel and waste.

You just asked about re bedding the old water fitting.  All deck fittings are re-bedded the same way, chain plates and re-bedding the stanchions use a similar procedure :
1. Remove the old fitting by backing out the screws and prying the fitting off the deck (or pushing it up from the bottom).
2. Clean the deck area where the fitting was and clean the underside of the fitting.
3. Take caulk (I like 4200 or polysulfide) and apply it to both the deck area and the underside of the fitting.
4. Gently set the fitting back in place and tighten the tighten the screw to were they are 3/4 tight.
5. The caulk that squeezes out DO NOT touch!!  Let it harden.
6. Allow the caulk to cure for about 4/6 hrs (read curing time of the caulk you use).
7. Tighten the screw down and use an Exacto or utility knife to cut off the excess caulk. 
Ron, Apache #788

dave davis

After reading Ron's 7 steps method of bedding various thing-a-ma bobs, I agree it is a great way to seal the whatever. I thought that I would mention an alternative method which is quite different. I learned this method from the mechanics that are getting over $100 an hour (in San Francisco) at the boat yard and have to get it done NOW.
After following Ron's method of cleaning, I would add cutting a groove completely around the hole at a 45 degree. You can cut the groove to a depth of 1/8 to 1/4 depending on the item you are sealing. This groove acts as a mold for the sealent and it can be filled or over filled. This method can be done without any waiting time for curing.
Re member, this is an alternate method that can be used when you do not have the time to wait for part curing.
Dave Davis ,707, Wind Dragon, SF
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Lance Jones

Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622