Raymarine Wheel pilot X-5

Previous topic - Next topic

kevMar

I installed  a wheel pilot and has been working great ... i have used it maybe 4 hours at the most. This weekend it has now started to display the message" Calibaration required" and then it goes tothe message "startUP". This happens in the stanby mode and Auto mode,, before i call raymarine has anyone else had this problem and what if so did tyou do to correct it  thanks.... i have a 34 catalina 1988

Stu Jackson

Did you calibrate it when you first installed it?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

kevMar

yes i calibrated it and also did the sea tril turning in a cirlce to get the compass right....

kevMar

i did use 16 guage wire from the battery to the computer i wonder if it is not large enough to handle the length...

Stu Jackson

That wire sounds suspiciously small.  Have you checked the voltage at the unit end?

In addition, what does your instruction manual say about your symptoms?  Most manuals have "Troubleshooting" guides at the end of the manuals.

Have you tried recalibrating?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

mtullier

My X-5 displays this also.  I usually recalibrate and it goes away for about 6 months.  Please post any recommendations that Ray Marine gives.  Thanks
Mike

kevMar

I talked with Ray marine yesterday and he had never heard of what was going on.....   i did put a on/off switch on the positive wire and he thought that that might be what is causing it and or the size wire .. i may just take the on/off switch out and see what happens if not then i will replace the wire with 14 guage.....  if that does not work he said to send it back to them.....

Stu Jackson

A switch shouldn't do that.  He's nuts.  Have you answered our previous questions?  If you're going to rewire, stay away from 16 and 14 ga. wire.  Minimum should be 12 or even 10.  Where is it wired from? (i.e., the main electrical panel or the cockpit panel?).

kevMar

I have it connected directly to the battery with an inline fuse. i will recalibrate this weekend and remove the switch { it worked fine till i ou the switch in} if that does not do it i will rewire with the guage you have suggested....

Stu Jackson

A switch is not a bad idea if you have it connected to your bank as you say, otherwise it would always be on unnecessarily.  Have you considered it could simply be a faulty switch?  ...since it worked before you put the switch in.