Packing Nut Stuff

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Smith

I'm all ready to tighten the packing nut on Breezer today, but have not done it before. Bought two wrenches and some PB to loosen up the green corrosion on the nut. I know to loosen the locking nut first, then tighten the packing nut until I get about two drops per min, then tighten the locking nut, but there seems to be a small (1/4") set screw (?) sticking out of the packing nut. Do I loosen this prior to trying to tighten the packing nut?

Thanks

Mike Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

Mike Smith

PB is a spray "Liquid Wrench" for loosening up frozen nuts 'n stuff.  I tried to loosen the locking nut without it, but no go.  Sprayed it and waited a while, tapped it with a hammer and it loosened immediately.  I used a small wire brush to clean the threads to avoid binding and cleaned off all the green corrosion.  Hand tightened the nut and tried it in forward and reverse.  Got about 4-6 drops per min.  Tightened the locking nut and moved on to the next project... and the next... and the next...

The packing nut did have a set screw, but it was already backed out - go figure!

Thanks,

Mike Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com