Hood roller furling

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

I know we just went through this. However, I couldn't find the post. How do you reef the continuous line furler? I tried letting it all the way out, then rolling it until it was the right length. However, when I went to sail, it still pulled out to full length.

ps. I did tie the continuous line off after reefing.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Tom Glennon

You need to keep tenson on BOTH lines, and then cleat BOTH.
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Ron Hill

Adding to what Tom said, cleat both lines TIGHTLY !!
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

:clap As usual, thanks so much for the advice! We had 25kt winds this weekend and when I let out Kitty Cat's 155 headsail and then pulled her back in to make a 100, she sailed like a champ. Thanks so much for the great insight. Not only do I thank you; but, so does my wife, Kitty.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

pjcomeau

What is the rope/line size on your furler? What is your setup to tie up both ends of the line?

Thanks
Pierre Comeau
Time To Keel, 1988 #687  Saint John, NB Canada

Lance Jones

It is the standard size continuous line (I think 3/8ths). I simply pull it tight and figure 8 it on to my cleat.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ken Juul

My furling line cleat is very close to the aft mooring cleat.  When I'm going to reef in strong or gusty conditions I put one leg of the contineous furling line on the mooring cleat and the other on the reefing line cleat.  Much easier to keep tension on both lines that way.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Lance Jones

Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : If you are talking about the Hood 915 continuois roller furler - the size of the furling line should be 7/16" NOT 3/8"
That may be why you are having problems!! 
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Ron,
As I said in my post, "I think it was 3/8ths." I didn't measure it so, I really don't know.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ted Pounds

I replaced mine and it was 3/8ths before and after.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Guys : I'm only mentioning what Hood recommends be used for their 915 furler.   Don't kill the messinger! 
Ron, Apache #788