Cutless bearing and shaft removal

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Mike,

Just a thank you for keeping us informed. While all the "how to info" on the board is terrific, it is very useful to also know the pitfalls in the repairs.

Good luck and I hope all turns out well in the end! Keep the updates coming. They provide more help in understanding repair strategy.

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Roland Gendreau

I used the strut pro to remove and install my cutlass bearing. It took no more than 45 minutes to remove and install.  No dropping of the rudder nor removal of the shaft was required.

Roland Gendreau
Gratitude #1183
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

All is well! We picked up our boat on Good Friday and it was a very good Friday. All was in order, everything back together and the boat back in the water but best of all, the bottom line wasn't as bad as it could have been. We took it out for a "Two Hour Cruise" and made it back to the dock with no problems.
I'm going to include some pictures of the old tiller fitting that they had to cut off but it appears that there was a stress crack going across where they cut as well.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.It's good to have our boat back.

Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

kdexter

Not sure where you are with this process - my husband just replaced our cutlass bearing (he is a surveyor and marine mechanic) -a friend milled (?) a gizmo to remove the bearing.  I obviously no nothing!  If you want more info - richardwdexter@yahoo.com.  Was a pretty quick job-realigned the shaft, too - sooooo much less vibration.

Ron Hill

Mike : I surly hope that you coated the inside of the new emergency tiller cap with grease when you assembled it - so the next time it's easy to remove! 
Ron, Apache #788

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Ron,

The mechanic told me that he used a anti-sieze compound on everything he put back together.
Hope that'll work.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net