Refrigeration

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Hutteball

We have an Alder Barber cold machine on our 2001 C34 MK II.  Last weekend while sitting in the cockpit We heard the fan attached to the compressor running.  We thought that to be strange as we had never heard the fan run while in the cockpit before.  It was a warm day but not as hot as we have had here in the Northwest.  None of the LED sensors were showing trouble and the refrigerator was nice and cold so everything seemed to be operating all right.  Is the fan supposed to run every time the compressor runs?  This seemed to be the case. 

The only thing that is different than the week before we were out is that I equalized the batteries with our Xantrex Tru charger, with battery switch off and all panel switches off except the bilge pump.

We are surprised we have not remembered hearing this before, and at our age we know our hearing is not getting better!

Jack

Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Stu Jackson

Jack, John Nixon and I have been having refrigeration discussions for years. 

I recently asked him: "should the fan work ALL the time or only when the condensing coil gets hot enough for the module to start the fan?  I seem to remember that the fan always started when the unit did." 

He replied: "The fan should turn on as soon as the compressor is powered up."

Some folks have mentioned that their fan noise disturbs them (if they're in the aft cabin and their unit is in the lazarette, like ours is).  We've never had a noise problem (before we moved up to the forward cabin).

The fan itself is pretty quiet.

I suggest that you make sure that the condensing coil is clean and clear - it's one of the few "maintenance" items required for the cold machine.

If you want to check out how it works, turn it off, wait ten minutes and turn it on, and watch the fan, or just watch the fan when you first turn it on.

I've had some "issues" with our fridge and have replaced those fans a few times, and have found a much LESS expensive source at Radio Shack (4 inch 12 V DC fan  #2730238). 

I also have scanned in the A/B manual (circa 1986), if anyone needs it.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jack Hutteball

Thanks Stu,

Our fan is in the aft lazaret as well.  I have heard the compressor/fan in the aft cabin before, just can't recall ever hearing it while sitting in the cockpit.  Generally it is cooler here in the NW so I assumed that maybe the fan does not necessarily run every time the compressor runs.  Kind of hard to see the coils the way it is mounted, but they seem clean.  Probably would not hurt  to blow a little air thru though, as I have done nothing to them in 7 years.  Maybe I have some spiders that have taken up residency!

Going down to the boat in a few minutes to load up.  We are heading north to Princess Louisa Inlet for 2 weeks.  Will turn it on and check to see how it responds, and check the coils as well.  Don't have time to fix it if something goes wrong on the trip so we will just resort to the tried and true ice blocks until we get back if that happens.

Jack

Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Jim Brener

I installed a new C-100 Cold Machine and the noise level was high enough to disrupt sleep.  Added some thick closed foam strips under the base of the unit before screwing it down and that took care of the problem. Still have a problem with the +/- wires pulling out from the terminal strip on the control module, just wrote to A/B for advise. Can not locate a set screw.
Jim Brener
Wind Spirit  1987  #504

Stu Jackson

Jim, obviously there should be screws to hold the wires.  What I suggest is that you firmly tie the wires to the side of the unit so they vibrate along with it until you get th screws figured out.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jack Hutteball

Turned on the refrigeration when we went to load the boat.  Nice and cool at the marina and cool in the lazaret and when the switch was turned on both the compressor and fan started simultaneously.  Seems to be that is the way it is supposed to run.  Guess our hearing must be getting better!

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Steve McGill

Folks,

Woke up at 3am on the hook this morning and heard the fan on the refer condenser unit running continually or recycling. By this I mean it would seem to shut off for about 5 seconds then start again and run for 10 minutes, shut off for 5 seconds then start again.

My experience has been that the fan would start when the refrigerator would start and stop. I would normally hear a gurgling sound which I assumed was the refrigerant going thru the line and expanding and contracting.

I also heard the same gurgling sound when the fan was running continually, but not all the time.

The refer was cold and I had cubes in the trays in the evaporator. The fan seemed to continually run/ recycle regardless of if the refrigerator itself was running.

It's my original Cold Machine Alder Barbour.

Any suggestion of a possible fix or cause is appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

prh77

I also have the original unit and it is doing the same cycling routine, except 5 sec off,one minute on. Do not remember if it has always done this but it seems to cool fine.
Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"

Kyle Ewing

Jack,

Something may have introduce vibration where before there was none.  Maybe the compressor mount is starting to loosen or something is stuck to one of the fan blades.  I had the same thing happen last year and feared the worst, but a simple adjustment made it quiet again. 

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Chicago, IL
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Steve McGill

Jack,

I wish it was something loose or other as you suggested. My Symptoms are exactly as Peyton gas described.

After spending the day at the boat yesterday,half buried in the aft storage area upside down I can confirm this.
Still not sure the reason the fan runs like this even when the compressor stops, or the actual draw on the battery however small that the fan causes.

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Ken Krawford

You may want to post this question at Kollmann Marine Boat Refrigeration  -  http://www.kollmann-marine.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=a0913e7474fb4f50a00c7b14fb847206.
He seems to be very knowledgable on refrigeration issues.
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B