Re-painting boot stripe

Previous topic - Next topic

Roland Gendreau

Has anyone repainted their boot stripes using Interlux Brightside and if so, what shade did they use to match the factory color? 

From the color chart here:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/images/Multi/Interlux/large/64s.jpg

It would seem either the Largo or Ocean Blue would be the right color but not being at the boat, I can't determine which to buy.

Thanks

Roland Gendreau
Gratitude #1183
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Jeff Kaplan

on my '86, i use flag blue for a match. you will use the entire 1/2 pint can for the job. my boot stripe is 4" wide. use good masking tape, 3m blue or =, so no under tape leakage and easy removal. tape can be left on for a week. easy job, and the results look great. boot stripe is one of this weekends projects. good luck...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Roc

For what it's worth, this might be something you can look into. I used to have a 23 footer that I sailed for 5 years.  This boat was kept in a slip and sailed almost every weekend.  When I purchased the boat, it had black boot and sheer stripes, that were done with stripe decals applied when the boat was made (I bought it in 1994, it was an '87 model Precision 23).  I didn't like the black on yellow hull look, I wanted to change the stripe color to blue.  So, I peeled off the black stripes, and cleaned the area well with adhesive remover (most of the glue came off with the stripes). I bought dark blue stripes at West Marine, one for the boot and a thick and thin for the sheer.  I applied these in 1994 and when I sold the boat in 1998, the stripes looked brand new.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Roger Blake

Jeff--Did you do any special prep like keying the stripe with wet sandpaper or did you just remove the wax and apply the paint?
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

Jeff Kaplan

last call, i just give the 4" stripe an easy sanding using 180g, wipe down and repaint...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Ron Hill

Roland : I had a friend use the Interlux brightside to repaint his upper boot stripe.  His color was maroon. Don't know the Interlux color name, but it matched Catalina's perfectly. 
Ron, Apache #788