Head Info

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Saw this link on the C25 Forum:  http://www.boatbuilding.com/article.php/MarineSanitationFactvsFolklore/print

Peggie's since written a very informative book.  Find it here  http://shop.sailboatowners.com/books/detail-books.htm?sku=66438&cat=1304
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Great link, Stu, Thanks!

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Bill Asbury

Thanks, Stu. 
On Saturday had to dismantle the head on my boat due to back pressure on pump and found a solid wad of TP blocking the flow.  The tutorial on heads therefore became more interesting, tho after the fact.
Bill
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Guys : This has been said a ZILLION times :
Don't put any toilet tissue in the marine head - put it in ziplock bag and dispose of it with the trash !!
Ron, Apache #788

Bill Asbury

Thanks, Ron.  I'm aware of the old saying not to put anything in the head we haven't eaten first.  However, I've had sailboats with Headmate-type heads since 1994 and never had a TP or any other clog before.  The head info tutorial that started this thread said it's okay to use TP, just to use the cheap no-name kind from the grocery store which disintegrates easily when wet, but perhaps I'm all wet...:-)
Bill
Bill & Penne
Chesapeake Bay

Ken Juul

It is also important to pump enough water through the system to get the contents all the way to the  holding tank.  Not sure about the MkIIs, but at least on my MK 1.5 the last thing in the line before the holding tank is a 90° elbow.  Got to get anything solid past that fitting or a clog is just around the corner.  Or perhaps more correctly...a clogged fitting is in your future.   :?  The extra water also helps keep the hoses from absorbing smells and provides enough liquid to emulsify the contents of the tank.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Lance Jones

There is an additive I saw at Campers World that you "flush" into the tank that helps eat "TP"
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ted Pounds

In 20 years of flushing toilet paper down Catalina heads I've never had the toilet paper clog the head.  I did have the stuff I "ate first" clog it a couple of times.   :cry4` :cry4`
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Bill Asbury

Thanks Ken,
Reading the head info reminded me it's important to flush thoroughly to make sure everything (liquid and solid) gets thru the system and into the holding tank, so I'm going to suggest it to the Admiral as SOP.
Bill
Bill & Penne
Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

FYI , the "head" guys at Jabsco have said the same thing that I previously mentioned - about no toilet tissue in the holding tank.  Your boat, your choice !!
Ron, Apache #788