Valve between water tank and water pump

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Kuba

Ron is correct.
I also have a PYI dripless packing and the bilge stays pretty dry.
Bob Kuba, C34IA Past Commodore

sailingdream

Don't you guys have a issue with raining coming down the mast? That's my killer to keep the bilge wet. But I do have to get myself a check valve I get a lot of backwash after the pump stops.

Bob Kuba

I have not solved the "rain down the mast" issue.
I presume the culprit is the spinnaker halyard, but I'm not ready to give that up.
Bob Kuba, C34IA Past Commodore

Ron Hill

Guys : The problem with the nasty smell & corrosion is from the salt water rather than the fresh water.

I'd think hard before I put in a backflow check valve.  If I did put one in the bilge pump line, it's one of those items that need checking every month or so.  It's not something you should install and then just walk away !!

As far as the rain coming down the keel stepped mast - I've been screwing with this problem for 22 years and have reduce the amount, but can't stop it completely  :cry4`.   Believe me, I have tryed!!!   :donno:
Ron, Apache #788

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Ron,
There is an excellent article in the April edition of Crusing World on a mast boot seal made with a innertube that has been sliced open and clamped with hose clamps around the mast. That would control the water coming in at the deck level but not the halyard entry/exit points.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Mike : The problem with the keel stepped C34 (and others I've found out from riggers) is NOT the mast boot!!!!
Somehow (and I don't know how :?:), but rain water hits the mast cap and then goes down the ends and inside of the mast.  I've rerouted my spinnaker haylard and taken that exit and turned it upside down and taped over it!  I've also lay-ed a heavy bead of clear caulk around the top edges of the mast cap, with openings only on each side.  How in the hell water still comes down the inside of the mast is beyond me!!

Like I mentioned, I've talked to riggers and they have told me that "water comes down the inside of the Mast".  Guess that's just a fact of life !    :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788