Rubber Boot and Bolt for the starter switch

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Young

So I went to start DarBay this weekend and the nut that covers the start switch fell off.
The rubber boot is still intact but the metal of the nut is split in three places, it would not screw back on.
What I have done to just get by is some bailing wire and a tie wrap. So
1)The start switch nut is broken
2)The glow plug nut is rather corroded and on its last leg
3)Also the kill cable nut is cracked a little. I would like to replace it, just to be safe
4)I called Catalina Direct:  They do not have these parts
5)I called Seaward Products: They have not returned my call.
6)Is there another vendor that may have these parts?
7) If not is there someone out there that has jury rig a replacement?

Thanks

Brad
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Brad,
If you just want to replace the nuts and can get them off, I would try taking them to a hardware store or West Marine. If you need to replace the switches, you could try WM and if you still can't find anything, follow up with Seaward. If you need to replace the complete kill cable assembly with the handle, they are available from Catalina yachts parts dept.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Here's a button:  http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/23175/377%20710%201621/0/Switches,%20Fuses%20/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/10/0?N=377%20710%201621&Ne=0&Ntt=Switches,%20Fuses%20&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=5002&subdeptNum=9&classNum=294  This is just an example.  There are a few other switches / buttons that look like this, too, so choose wisely before you buy online.

Mike's right, the hardware store can become your best marine store!  Our local ACE Hardware has a section in fasteners with stainless steel material, which is what you'll need for your boat.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

Piling on Stu's post.   Ace Hardware, Lowes, Home Depot etc.  All have nice cabinets with sliding drawers full of assorted nuts, bolts, fastners etc.  in various materials.  Takes a few minutes to search, but it is really amazing at what you can find to McGuiver a solution.  I tend to like Ace better because most times are just in the bin, grab what you need.  Lowes, HD, etc tend to have them pre bagged so it is hard to test fit.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Roger Blake

I'm with Ken...amazing what you can find at an ACE Hardware store.
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

Ron Hill

Brad : Look in any marine catalog and you'll find the rubber boots that will fit over the ignition, starter and any toggle switches. 
I believe that your ignition a two way switch ON & OFF.  Your glow plug and starter switches are PUSH ON I'll guess - they can be found at a marine store or any auto parts store.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788