Companion way Drop Boards

Previous topic - Next topic

Stewartn

Time to refinish the drop boards on #1472. Anyone know what the factory used and/or the best way to remove it. Plan to coat with Cetol Natural Teak and top coat with Cetol Gloss.
Thx
Stewart Napoleon, Hull #1472, Desiree
Greenwich, CT

Michael Shaner

I'd start with some 120 grit paper on an orbital sander and move up to 220. Don't get too aggressive with the sanding...there is a finite amount of teak there. 3-5 coats of Cetol and they'll be beautiful!

We're pleased with the natural teak cetol...
Michael & Alison Shaner

Steve Sayian

Stew,

We stripped ours two years ago and put on four coats of Cetol satin finish.  Didn't use any stain.

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

tonywright

Just teak oil on ours. Stays good because of the full canvas protection from dodger, bimini and connector.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

It also depends on the condition they're in to start with.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Lance Jones

I've used Cetol for several years and love the results!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

David Comando

I guess my parents were right when they said I was "different". Over the years I used Cetol, and Man-o-War varnish. I was pleased with the varnish for a year, then I didn't like the scratches, discoloration when water penetrated the many, many coats I put on. Over the winter, I "bartered" with a buddy to Bristol Finish the boards. I bought the finish and supplied him with prepped boards. he applied the finish. He complained that the odor while applying, and drying was very strong. He'll finish with the third and final coat when he can do it outdoors. He said they were coming out great! I'll let you know how durable the finish is in November. I have to fulfill my end of the barter by cleaning the bottom of his boat prior to this season's races. Not a bad deal.
David Comando, 1987 Kindred Spirit, Hull# 55 sailing the waters of Eastern Long Island, and to other points in the Northeast.

Jim Hardesty

On my previous boat I used Bristol Finish.  The big advantage was that all varnishing was done off season under the shrink wrap cover.  The outside weather didn't stop me from varnishing, no mater how cold, windy, snowy, some thought I was nuts.  But then I was sailing when they were working on brite work. Some seasons we get very few days good for varnishing.
Bristol Finish looks like varnish, but lasts better (my oppion).  The only thing that I don't like is that the catalist doesn't have a long shelf life.  Before you use it, check to see that it's still liquid.  If it's set up you need to buy fresh.  The other part has a long shelf life, even after opening.
The only exterior wood on my MKll is the hatch boards, they are ready for a touch up.  Think I'll just use the varnish that the PO left.  When I strip and refinish I'll go with the Bristol.
We still have snow in the forcast and ice on the lake.  But there is more water than ice.  Looking up.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

horsemel

I stripped my boards last summer and finished mine with Cetol Natural and Cetol Gloss for the final coat.  They look 100% better.  The PO used Cetol Dark on everything so it looked like chocolate.  We hope to do the rest of the exterior a little at a time this summer.  I am thinking of removing the eye brows per a previous discussion.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Ron Hill

Stewart : You can use an orbital sander to get off what ever kind of finish is on them now.  As soon as you're down to wood IMMEDIATELY start to use a finishing sander with the grain.

Before you put anything on them use a 50% bleach/water to kill all of the mold spores.  Then use a fine 220 grit to smooth off the lifted grain.

I'd recommend Cetol, but then again I haven't done mine in 15 years - can't see them when I'm sailing (stored away) and have a summer cover ! 
Ron, Apache #788