Anchor Swivels

Previous topic - Next topic

Stewartn

Upgrading to Rocna 33# with 5/8 twisted Nylon & 35' 1/4" or 5/16" hi test chain (BBB) with a rope to chain splice by professional rigger. Now, I have previously read about anchor swivels between anchor and chain. Taking an informal poll: Which ones do you like and/or recommend.
As always Thanks
Stewart Napoleon, Hull #1472, Desiree
Greenwich, CT

Stu Jackson

Don't use them.  They are an unnecessary weak link in the chain, pun intended.  Do a search on anchor swivels, right here and read away.  Use quotation marks around the phrase.  Here's one: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5109.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Stewart : Read all of the many posts on this topic, not just the one posted by Stu. Then YOU make your own choice. 
The "weak link" can be any one of the components in the anchor system.  Look at the SWL (safe working load) numbers for each of the anchor components anchor/ chain/ rode/ cleat it's tied off to !!

BTW, BBB and HI-Test are two VERY differant chains
Ron, Apache #788

cmainprize

Hi Stewart
I have an SS anchorlift swivel.  It is the strongest rated component in my system.  Breaking load is rated for 12,500 pounds.  Working load is 1/4 breaking load.  I wonder what would happen if I applied 12,500 pounds to my chain stopper or the cleat or an other part of the boat for that matter.  Mine works great, the windlass sucks the chain in, anchor spins around to the proper position, spray the goop off and push the windlass button again.  Clean hands, and happy wife.

Cory
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario