replacing the head sink drain

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Michel

I'm having a difficult time finding a replacement drain or tailpiece for the head sink......The flange is about 2 3/16" and the cut-out is 1 3/4"....anyone else find an easier replacement?....(1987.....Hull No. 460)
Steve Michel

prh77

I think I got mine from Catalina Direct.
Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"

Ron Hill

Steve : I went to a plumbing store and got a new plumbing tail piece of larger diameter and attached it to the existing piece that sets on the sink side .  Then I was able to attach a 1" drain hose which helps drain a bit better than the 3/4" hose.  The existing thru hull will accept a 1" hose. 
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Steve : Now that I've thought about that head sink drain some more a few other things come back to mind.
The head sink drain fixture is differant in that there is a very small diameter (inside the sink) flange or it will not fit in that particular head stainless sink. There was also something unique about the threaded compression nut that holds that tail piece onto the inside the sink drain piece.

What I was trying to do was go from a 3/4" to a 1" drain hose.  It was easy to find a 1" drain tail piece, but hard to find a nut that would accommodate the larger tail piece and also fit onto the piece that sets inside the sink. 
As I said above I found the correct nut in the plumbing section of Channel Hardware (like Home Depot)!!

I never wrote this "Head Sink Caper" up as it didn't help the sink drain any faster with a 1" over a 3/4" hose, and it was too difficult to describe.  If I had thought about the physics of the water flow I should have known it wasn't going to work.  Simply - "Not one of Ron's better ideas".

You should be able to find a tail piece, just take that compressin nut along when you go to the plumbing store!  Too many thoughts ! 
Ron, Apache #788

Steve Michel

Thanks so much again for your responses.....I ordered through Catalina Direct as advised (after spending HOURS looking on line and going through the local marine stores).......they have an exact replacement, AND a 90 degree......
Thanks again folks!
Steve Michel