Funnel type fuel filters

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Have any of you used the funnel type fuel filters from West Marine? I think they used to be called Baja filters.
I purchased one recently and wound up taking it back because of the reservoir in the bottom of the filter that is supposed to collect the water and dirt particles holds a few ounces of fuel. When you're done using the filter, what are you supposed to do with the few ounces of fuel or water or other crud that collects in the bottom? Maybe I need to carry a mason jar with me and dump it in my neighbors flower bed when I get home.
Just wondering what everyone else does.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Mike : You're right ON !! 
I also bought one and found the same thing - the residue is a pain to deal with.
I believe that the main purpose of that filter is to filter fuel from a questionable fuel pump in a location that you aren't familiar with.  For that purpose it's probably great.
You'll definitely need a small container with a lid if you use that filter.  I still have mine, but have to admit that I haven't used it in years.  Guess that I always try to refuel at a location that pumps alot of fuel that I'm familiar with.  I'm always sceptical of a new fuel dock and avoid them if possible, especially bargen prices !!
I still carry mine on board - just in case! 
Ron, Apache #788

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Thanks Ron,
I feel the same regarding questionable fuel sources but sometimes you don't have a choice when cruising.
Also I think it would be good to use transferring from Gerry cans. I guess I'll just have to look into carrying a jar or something similar.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ken Juul

After picking up a bad batch of fuel from a place I use all the time (bottom of the tank?) I use the filter all the time.  I pour the excess into a plastic water bottle.  When the bottle get full it gets dumped at the local recycle center.  I know storage is a pain, I bought the small filter.  It is very slow.  If you choose to go this route, buy the big one.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Terry Forshier

several years ago Practical Sailor had an article on contaminated fuel and recommended getting one of these as it was the least expensive and most effective water/fuel protective product on the market. I had had some problems with bad fuel and bought one. I still use it every time. Since I  have the boat at home dock I just dump the residue at a secrete location in the yard.(not very much either) when I am done. I have had no further fuel problems. Whether or not that is the reason I do not know. I seldom buy fuel at a dock and prefer to carry it in in 5 gallon cans.

Michael Shaner

I prefer to carry fuel to the boat in 5 gallon jerry cans as well. Someone on the forum pounded into my head "buy fuel where the truckers do". 3/4 tank on the fuel gauge = one jerry can to top off...it's fairly painless.

That filter sounds like a necessity for extended cruising...
Michael & Alison Shaner

Ron Hill

Michael : You have a good point about "buy fuel where truckers do", however you need carry that thought to the marine environment.  Besides, 5 gals of diesel is heavy to haul down the dock - that's why my spare can is only 2 1/2gals!!   

When ever I can I buy diesel where the "watermen" buy theirs, because the fuel storage is low capacity and replenished frequently, usually a good price (road tax free) and it's NOT the low sulfur fuel (as our older engines need sulfur for lubricity).
A few thoughts.
Ron, Apache #788

waterdog

I have a true Baja filter - not the westmarine one.   It comes with caps for each end.   I store it with the "residue" still in the filter.  Fuel penetrates the membrane - water doesn't.   At least that's the theory.  I haven't picked up any fuel with water in it so far and haven't really had a disposal problem.   And absolutely every Pemex fuel dump I stop in swears up and down that their fuel is clean.    Why then do I have a bunch of dirt in the bottom of my fuel jugs?   

I have four jugs.   Every drop into the tank gets filtered.  No problema.   
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat