Manual Bilge Pump Handle and emergency tiller handle Size

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Berman

I have a 1987 C-34 with a manual bilge pump located below the aft settee.  right next to it is the emegency tiller.  Any one know what diameter(s) these take....any suggestions on what material (e.g., black iron pipe or wood?) to use to make handles?  Thanks!  Rick
Rick Berman on the Tula, Puget Sound (Hull 484, M25-XP)

hump180

Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie

Jim Hardesty

Rick,
I think that the pump handle is just alumium tubing.  For the emergency tiller I would try to borrow one from a like model then copy it.  Or just buy one from Catalina.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ted Pounds

I think my pump handle was stainless (maybe 3/4").  When you get a pump handle (or find the original one) you should tie it to the pump with a length of light line.  That way you can always find it and, if you drop it, you can always retrieve it.  I had 2 emergency tillers - one that would work with the wheel on (obviously pretty short and not much leverage) and a longer one that required removal of the wheel (still short, but better if I could get the wheel off).  I stored both of those on clips on the top of the port lazarette.   I think they were both aluminum. 
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

Our pump handle is SS with a black plastic knob at the end of it.

The emergency tiller (joke) is a short piece of aluminum tubing.  It works, I tried it in calm conditions, which is never when you're gonna need it.

Just measure the hole on the top of the rudder post and buy a piece of pipe, why pay Catalina or anyone else for it?  Put a chair tip on the end, you're done.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Rick : Follow Ted's suggestion on the emergency tiller. 
Make one with the wheel OFF and have it curved so you can use the tiller while you are standing up, rather than crunched over.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stephen Butler

STRONGLY suggest following Ron's suggestion on the emergency tiller.   We had to actually use it to avoid a collision and can say that you will not be able to steer very well or for very long with the factory setup.  Another thought is to install some pad-eyes in the cockpit, to attach some lines to the emergency tiller.  Hope this is of help.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Rick Berman

thanks for the tips/info y'all...will take measurements, puchase, bend (as appropriate), and secure!!!
Rick Berman on the Tula, Puget Sound (Hull 484, M25-XP)

SeaFever

Rick,

On my Pearson 10M I have a deck plate on the cabin sole behind the helm that can be opened with a key. Opening that provided access to a square peg that was in the center of the large pulley that I think is mounted right on the rudder shaft. The square peg is 1" square.

I made a emergency tiller last year using a wooden tiller I picked up from a local consignment store and steel parts I purchased from Ace hardware. I got a local shop weld the pieces I cut. I then put 2 coats of Rustoleum primer and 5-6 coats of white Rustoleum paint.

I haven't had a chance to use it but feel secure knowing that I have it on board. I will try to see if I took any pictures of the making of the Emergency Tiller and post it.

Regards.
Mahendra, Sea Fever, Pearson 10M, #43, Oakland, CA

Michael Shaner

Rick,

Visited the boat this weekend...emergency tiller is 1" diameter...
Michael & Alison Shaner