Internet Conectivity

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

After moving aboard, we quickly tired of relying on blackberry or work connections for our I-net access. I did a search using my laptop for local, unsecured wifi nets. NONE!

Back to do some research.... I had a friend recommend the Verizon Mifi. So, I checked it out. Well, I purchased one with a 5GB package. So far, we've been quite happy with it and it gives us access from anywhere in the boat for my laptop or my wife's netbook. Can handle up to 5 users at once with no issues.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Rick Johnson

Lance,  I had one of the early Verizon packages which allowed unlimited use.  I dropped the service when I moved to Texas 5 years ago.  Now, when I started looking into getting the service again, I see that all the companys have limited access packages.  I will be interested in how the 5GB package works out for you.

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

waterdog

We use the Telcel Banda Ancha service.   Unlimited data.   Only 450 pesos a month.  It works great! :D
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ron Hill

Lance : I use Verizon thru my cell phone and am happy with it. 
I'd suggest that you talk to people in your area & where you are going to and see which company gives the best coverage and bang for the buck.  In your case the best coverage may well be the deciding factor (unless you want to save $$ and be out of Kommo!!).  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

So far, we've used about 25% of our 5 GB. Billing ends on the 18th. So I guess it works well for us. We don't do a whole lot of up and down loading anyway. Verizon is $50, not too bad.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Hawk

Lance,

Did you consider a marine wireless antenna?
An example is below:
http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wireless/wireless-marine-antenna.php

Of course if there are no available nets then a wider coverage won't help.

Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Lance Jones

Great idea. However, at this time, I think, the MiFi is our answer. Here is a photo of it. It is about the size of a credit card and about as thick as a small post-it note pad. Very convenient.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

You also may consider a feature called "tethering" if you have data access through your cell phone or blackberry. It allows you to connect your laptop to your blackberry and uses the blackberry sort of like a modem. Also , you need to see if your provider supports tethering.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Lance Jones

Thanks. That's what Ron suggested. It'd work; but, my wife and I tend to be on-line at the same time AND that would require us to get 2 data packages as opposed to one with the MiFi.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Lance Jones

Just an update....
We've been using the MiFi for a good bit now and it has been a great addition to our boat. If you don't want to add an antenna or are not in an area where that'd work, I highly recommend the MiFi product.

We could use our Blackberry; but, our service requires a data plan for each Blackberry. The Admiral and I can use the MiFi at the same time (Handles up to 5) with little, if any, degradation of access speed. We've used Skype, downloaded video etc. and the 5GB package seems to cover all that easily.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622