Engine Vibrations & Hump Hose Discussion

Previous topic - Next topic

horsemel

Wow, lots of great advice as always.  I will be tackling this project between now and Memorial Day as we are going on a sailing vacation starting June 10.  The amazing thing about this site is that people like me get to learn from people like me.  It makes it very understandable.  We knew when we bought the boat that it would require work to get everything current and that has proved to be true.  I told my wife that I hoped that this year was "hump" year (seems an appropriate term for this topic) for major project completion.  Even if loose clamps are causing the leaks, I'm still gonna replace the hoses.  As to the bulkhead confusion, I thought you had to remove them to get to where the long hose connects to the transom. As to membership in this organization, I say again it is the best boating investment there is.  I had a great time meeting Phil Spicer and valued the time spent talking as well as the help he gave me.  If I am ever in you other guys necks of the woods I'll look you up.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

prh77

Actually Mark, you do need to remove that bulkhead to change the lonh hose, but as that is probably not the source of your leak, leave it alone.
Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

There are no bulkhead removals necessary. You can get that hose in by feeding if through the port storage locker in the cockpit, first to the muffler and then the other end to the transom exhaust fitting. And it IS important to check this hose for age cracks. Leaks here could fill the bilge quite rapidly.
When you take the old one out, it"ll very obvious how to get the new one in.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Guys : Be a little more careful on the terminology that you use asking and answering a question.  We'd like to understand your problem and give you the correct answer.  But bad terminology makes things  confusing

ie. After 23 years of ownership, I know of NO removable "bulkhead" in a C34. Generally a bulkhead is a structural item that you cannot and should not remove.  You might cut a hole in a bulkhead, but it stays in place.  The removable items might be a door, cabinetry or especially in the aft cabin the port side and aft panels.

Just trying to get you the best answer .  A thought
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

horsemel

This weekend I tightened the clamps and apparently that stopped the leak.  I am still going to replace hoses so I have bookmarked this entire discussion section.  The priority has changed because we also discovered when commissioning the water system this weekend that das vater heater ist kaput!  The admiral wants hot water!  Have ordered a new Seaward 6 gal and will replace it along with the hoses from the heater to the engine.  (Yep, I have those disussions bookmarked too.) I had the old model number from the heater and called Seaward.  They were very heipful and told me the best deal around was with Defender so that is where I ordered from.  Stu, you are right, they are panels, my goof.
Mark Mueller

Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815