Battery equalization - using a small portable charger

Previous topic - Next topic

tonywright

I was at the Toronto boat show this weekend. Spoke to the Rolls/Surrette reps about equalization.

The recommended equalization at the beginning and end of every season.  I mentioned that I was thinking of replacing the standard Charles (3 stage) charger, since it has no equaliztion feature, and dragging the batteries off for equalization is no fun.

They suggested buying a small portable (10A) charger with an equalization function (C$179). Use the Charles to do a regular charge, then hook up the small unit one battery at a time to do equalization. They suggested that because it is small, just leave it hooked up for a week, and the check the battery. This contradicts everything else I have read on this board, so looking for comments and opinions...

(By the way Mason's has a special on the 40A TruCharge 2. $359 CDN. )

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Gary

Tony,

I have a small portable charger and use it on the 4 x 6 volt golf cart batteries. My charging is limited to off the boat work as I am at a mooring without regular dock or electrical access. I like having the batteries at home and off the boat so that I can monitor and recharge during the winter as necessary.

At home the batteries recharge in a few hours to peak. My charger also has equalization and desulfination processes. I do this at the end and beginning of season before the batteries leave our cellar.  Equalizing seems to take roughly two to three days and is monitored by the charger until it reaches "full".  Same deal with desulfination which is a timed and pulsed slow charge. That also takes a couple days for each pair of 6 volt batteries.

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

tonywright

Thanks Gary

Do you recall the brand of your charger?

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Gary

Ho Tony,

It is Vector 2/10/15 amp charger. It was purchased at Northern Tool <www.northerntool.com>. The equalization process is only to be used on wet cell batteries (not gel or AGM). There are also suggestions to equalize with good ventilation. The manual also says to disconnect the battery from the (vehicle) and all voltage sensitive electronics during equalization of cells.

It is a process that works the batteries hard and I would be reluctant to do that on an unmonitored or unattended situation. Tricky when it lasts a few days. Again, I like doing this at home where I can watch what is happening.

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Gary

Tony,

A quick search at Northern Tool shows they have changed to Schumacher chargers. I did but mine 4 years ago and have had no problems with it. You can Google Vector or go here <http://www.amazon.com/Vector-1089A-12-Battery-Charger/dp/B000FSZKPM> this is the one that I have. No problems...it is a great small and portable charger!

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Stu Jackson

Quote from: tonywright on January 12, 2010, 11:22:22 AM
They suggested that because it is small, just leave it hooked up for a week, and the check the battery. This contradicts everything else I have read on this board, so looking for comments and opinions...

I agree, it makes no sense.  As you seem to be aware, equalization should never be done without you being present, and it shouldn't last more than 4 to 6 hours at the very most.

All this sounds like is a way to completely recharge your batteries, and doesn't seem to include the equalization.

That's not a bad price for that charger.  Have you read John Nixon's charger evaluation topic?

Quote from: gary on January 12, 2010, 11:22:22 AMEqualizing seems to take roughly two to three days and is monitored by the charger until it reaches "full".

The battery should be full before one even starts the equalization process..
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."