pop up circuit breaker

Previous topic - Next topic

kevMar

I installed a new circuit breaker for the hot water heater 20 amp ... the hot water heater is now working BUT when i push on the breaker to turn the hot water heater off it does not pop out... Did i wire it wrong? or is the breaker no good... thank you for your help

Ron Hill

Kev : You didn't do anything wrong.  
It sound to me like you got a bad switch/breaker !!
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

The "circuit breakers" on the AC panel are not really circuit breakers.  They are actually switches with built in over load protection.  The ones on the DC side are actually CBs that protect the individual switched circuits

If you replaced it with just a standard circuit breaker it will not pop out until the circuit overloads.

They are incorrectly referred to as CBs, hope that didn't cause you any confusion
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

kevMar

how do you if need turn off the hot water heater???

Stu Jackson

Here's how:  run it for 15 to 20 minutes to heat the water and then turn it off until you need more.  Don't leave it on.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Rick Johnson

Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Ron Hill

There's another variation of the push -in/pop out swiitch/breaker called a toggle breaker.  Looked like a toggle switch with the amps stamped on the ball of the toggle.
We had them in aircraft and I believe they are still around.  
Ron, Apache #788

Hawk

I mentioned elsewhere that I found the ETA breakers mentioned in Rick's link at Nedco Electronics.
They are the push on/push off type.

http://www.nedcoelectronics.com/

Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35