Outfitting for Cruise to Mexico

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Steve already "paid his bill" by doing a link on the forward hatch thread!!!   :clap
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Rob Turner

I sailed from Victoria to SF. on a 36 foot Horizon (made in Mission), a narrow steel ketch.  We had no self steering gear except an electric one.  We certainly made some mistakes.  We froze to death, and became exhausted.  There were only 3 of us and my friend's wife got sick for 2 days and then couldn't steer at night.  I kept thinking it would have been a lot faster in my Catalina 30  BUT we would have been surfing by the time the waves got to 30 feet. 
My boat is over at Thunderbird in Fisherman's Cove--I could talk for hours on this subject.  By the way, my friends are now in the Florida intercoastal waterway after 5 years of cruising...
I live in Abbotsford--phone me if you want my 2 cents worth...

waterdog

Very interesting.   I'd love to talk, but you must never meet Tracey :shock:  Oh that's right, she plans to fly down to Cabo and avoid the 30 foot seas.   

Since they reconfigured the docks at Thunderbird, I notice there are no less than 7 C34s between B and C floats alone.  We could start our own C34 fleet out of Thunderbird!  I'm in B29 - black canvas - no name on the boat.

I've seen your boat.  I'll keep an eye out for you!
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

joe

STEVE(OR OTHERS), WHAT WAS YOUR FINAL DECISION ON THE GENERATOR? DID YOU GO GAS OR DIESEL? HOW HAVE YOU STORED THE FUEL? JOE
joe hamilton;  1988 catalina hull # 792; fresh water inland lake; "march hare"

Stu Jackson

Joe, I believe Steve didn't get a generator (or he got a cheapie and returned it), but here's his 1500 Mile Update report: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5270.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waterdog

Joe,

I went with 400W of solar.   That worked for me.   

If I were to buy a generator, I would prefer a diesel set if the they were cheap and small.  They're not so I would buy the Honda 1000.   

Gasoline, I keep in the anchor locker.  If I had to add more, I'd lash it on side decks to boards secured to stanchions.   

I keep 4 diesel jugs - 2 in the aft locker and 2 forward on the coachroof ahead of my mast underneath my dinghy. 

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat