BATTERY LIFE

Previous topic - Next topic

dave davis

BATTERY LIFE ON WIND DRAGON-707
There have been lots of information about the electrical systems and the endless methods of wiring and installing batteries. All the information is very helpful and it is available on the search systems. I thought that I would add a subject that I was not able to find. The question of (how long should your batteries last?).  The answer of course depends on the system layout, the usage, the type of batteries, the charging methods, and many more, etc. The reason I have asked the question is because I have just replaced my 11 year old four battery system which was still working but sounded like they were a little tired.  I asked around with other C34 skippers and decided that I was living in shaky times.  So, I decided to replace them with four new batteries from the same company.   I paid $40 each for the original set and I paid $95 each for my new ones. When telling the factory owner (at the American Battery Co) about how long they lasted, he told me that the new ones should last 17 years due to the improvement he has made on the new ones. The new ones should out-last me, since I am 79 years old now.
The new ones are 6 volts each with 220 Amp Hours and it takes 4 batteries to fill the same location as the old factory system.  I didn't record the hours of usage but, Wind Dragon is 22 years old and has 1282 hours engine time. That's not much time compared to skippers that spend lots of time in the cruise or anchor mode. My main motoring time is spent getting to the start line and getting back. They get charged by the standard CY alternator.  My batteries get charged in shore only if I plan to sleep over night. I never leave the charger on when leaving WD for weeks at a time.  I use a 20 amp TrueCharger, set at "Absorption".
He does not recommend using the hotter setting.  He says it will ruin his batteries.
All the starting and all the house lights are done with both batteries set for "all" on the master switch.
This report is not very technical , but hope it is informative. :sleepy:
Dave on SanFrancisco Bay
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Bobg

Dave, I am asuming you have trojan 105's,. I got mine free from a guy who uses his in a golf cart, changes out every 2 Years, I have been very happy with mine, they seem to stay charged forever with my use.  Your report helps give me peace of mine that I have lots of use left.  Course I follow the rules of keeping them charged as much as possible.  Sadly my boat is on the hard for the winter.  I am also impressed with "79 years old", gives me hope at 64.  You have given me insperation to keep going, course I can't spell anymore. Bob on GhostRider.
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Analgesic

I need to replace my house batteries prior to Spring launch and plan to go from 2x12 volt set up to 4x6 volt for the increased amp hour capacity.  The price quoted is very attractive and when I searched American Battery Company, 2 sites came up, one in Ft Lauderdale and one in Norwood,MA which happens to be 20' from my home.  I wonder if Dave or someone else can let me know who to call.  Thanks
Brian McPhillips
Brian McPhillips  1988 #584  M25XP

dave davis

Brian, since these batteries weigh about 85 pounds each, you will have to find the equal specs for the 220 amp 6 volts copies near your boat.  I bought mine from the factory 30 minutes away from my boat. American Battery Co in Hayward Ca, 510-259-1150. Type US-2200 For questions ask for Jim Ramos.
Good Luck,
Dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Ken Juul

Brian,
I would include in your upgrade plans to take a good look at your negative battery cables.  Unless a PO has upgraded the wiring, it is probably not adequate to fully utilize the extra amps.  Lots of ways to do it, without doing a full rewiring (search starter battery or wiring upgrade on the forum or check the wiki) I chose to run new neg cables from the battery compartment to the electrical panel and the engine having the main ground buss in the battery compartment rather than behind the engine or electrical panel.  In any case make sure you look/clean the ground point and connections at the engine.  They are hard to access so get neglected.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA