Head shelf Modification

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

Ok, I've bashed me brains in trying to find the project concerning adding a wee bit o teak to the head shelf that creates a dam between the sink and the storage area. I've searched the forum and wiki.

Now that we use the shower every day, I, and moor importantly -- the Admiral, see the importance of this one small modification.

Specifically, I was looking for the location of said dam.

Has anyone thought to add additional shower curtain to cover this area?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Craig Illman

Lance - My father-in-law made one for me, right at left corner at the narrowest portion of the aft counter shelf. I'll try and remember to take a picture on Friday. I do recall getting the idea from someone else's suggestion. Maybe Stu?

Craig

Ken Juul

A PO installed what I think you are talking about.  It is a small piece of teak shaped to match the fiddle around the rest of the head shelf.  Think mine is just installed with 4200 or similiar. 

Modified picture borrowed from Yachtworld.  The new piece is about where the black line has been added.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Steve Sayian

Ken,

On the MK IIs the seat adjacent to the head is a one-piece molded fiberglass unit.  Does your teak seat tip up to access storage beneath?

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Lance Jones

That's it Ken! Thanks. Love this forum!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Lance Jones

That is where I saw it. How'd YOU know where it was???  :rolling

Thank Stu!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ken Juul

The Mk 1s do not have storage under the seat in the Head.  When Catalina designed the MK IIs, I think they borrowed the idea from one of Ron Hill's projects.  I can't find a write up, but MK 1 owners can see a picture by looking in the old projects page (enter at bottom of the Home Page) look for "Apache Projects with Pictures"
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Lance Jones

Funny thing is Ken, that was one of my first projects!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : Can't remember if I posted a pix or not?, but I added 1/2" quarter round molding to the outside of the head "counter top" where it joins the vertical walls.  At the narrow portion (where the formica join and Stu has a dam) I added a wide piece of teak (1 inch) and the height of the fiddle in front and the quarter round in the back to act as a dam.  All of the teak in the head has at least 2 coats of Cetol.

It's easy to add the quarter round and that dam piece which are all held in place with clear silicone caulk.  Just make sure that the formica surfaces are clean and the under/back side of the teak quarter round is cleaned with lacquer thinner - to get off the natural teak oil.  Mine has held in place for over 12 years. 
A thought.   
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Thanks, as usual, for all the responses. I installed my dam yesterday evening so it would be dried and set in time for the morning shower. What a difference a dam makes! Me admiral was so pleased that the area behind the shower curtain wasn't flooded.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622