Fresh Water Filters

Previous topic - Next topic

Stewartn

We've been toting around gallons of bottled water for cooking (coffee, etc.). Good coffee, but bottles of Poland Spring are heavy to lug, tough to stow. Fresh water in the 2 tanks looks good and smells sweet. Tanks are well flushed, shocked and treated with Clorox every spring. Would appreciate any recommendations on using tank water for coffee (boiled) and/or filtering at least the COLD for consumption. Looking forward to loosing the Bottles.
Thanks

Stewart Napoleon
Desiree, C 34 MkII, 1472
OGYC
Stewart Napoleon, Hull #1472, Desiree
Greenwich, CT

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim Hardesty

Stewart,
Clean tanks are fine to drink from providing that the water going in is good and they are used often.  I too used to load up with bottled water.  It's not much of a problem when taking short trips, but when you need to resupply after a couple of weeks the beer is enough to carry.
In addition to keeping my tanks clean I also use a Britta faucet filter.  It fit right on the the galley faucet and the water tastes as good as bottled.  Just need to keep a couple of bottles in the friidge.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ken Juul

I dislike the faucet filters, plus it doesn't help the head sink for teeth brushing etc.  I installed a small whole "rv" charcol filter after the pump, before the hot water tank split.  Fresh water at both sinks now.  I try to always fill with city water so I don't have to add clorox.  And I use alot, probably at least 10-15 gals a weekend.  I also blow out my water system with compressed air each winter rather than adding pink, easier to recommision and water stays sweet all season.  If I know I'm not going to get a chance to fill up at a dock with city water I haul a couple jerry cans of water to the boat a couple times a month.  Wife prefers cold water, so still end up hauling a case of bottles about once a month, but thats not too bad.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Stewart,
Sounds like you're doing a good job keeping your tanks clean with the annual shock with clorox. I also use a whole house filter connected to the hose when I fill the tanks.
You should be fine using the tank water for coffee and anything else you want.
The trick is to keep using the water in the tanks so that it doesn't sit to long.
Alternate the use of each tank so that you completely drain one before you switch to the other one.
I think that the Britta filters are good as long as it works for you that it only filters the one faucet. You can also recycle the plastic water bottles and fill them from the Britta.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ted Pounds

I installed an ice-maker filter in the head cold water line.  Got it at Lowes.  It was one of the very fine ones that filter out all the critters as well as charcoal for chemicals.  That is the water we used for drinking even though I think the water in our tanks was fine.   New filter at $15 a year was cheap insurance.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Stewart : There have been a number of posts on this message board and articles in the Tech section of the Mainsheet on "Filtering Water" !! 
A number of people have a filter cartrage under the sink before the water pump, so they have filtered water out of the head & galley faucets (as well as the walk thru transom faucet!!). 
I like the faucet filter and filter my water (spring water only) when I fill the tanks.
You have all kinds of choices on how to do it!   A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788