T minus one week or so

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

Well, we're slowly but surely getting close to moving day. We've identified the clothes and things we're taking aboard and are either storing or selling the rest! Current plan has us living on the water by Nov 1!

We're excited AND nervous :nail. This is a test for a few years later when we can afford to retire; or, at least semi-retire to Ft Walton and live-aboard for real. At present, we're looking at a 6 month to a year test. This will give us an idea of what we need to do in order to do it full time AND a great way to pack back the $$$ by saving on rent and other house related expenses.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Roger Blake

Best wishes and happy cruising. I'm not far behind ya (hopefully).  :clap
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

Lance Jones

Well, we did it. Kitty's Cat is now our home. Not a home away from home, she's just our home!

A bit confusing now while we make the adjustment from a 2,000 sq' home to the 34x11 we now occupy. We don't have everything organized - yet; but, Kitty is making me do it as fast as she can make me!!! ;) The dogs seem to like it better as they can more easily keep an eye on us.

However, our stern faces west and we have had some wonderful sunsets so far. My projects list has grown exponentially over the weekend. Now, I think, the Admiral understands why I wanted to add additional storage areas and the like..... I have become a real minimalist. Well, at least we have a storage room on shore.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Congratulations on the move.  Been wondering when you'd be able to find the computer, fire it up and reconnect with us.  :D  Where is the boat?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Lance Jones

We're in the same location as we've always been. It'll be several more years before we take Kitty's Cat to the coast. This is sort of an experiment that we've committed to in order to see IF we want to do this; or, how we can do it better... later on this or a bigger boat.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

paule

Lance,
Good luck we did this for the summer during our move to Fl.
The space can get small and on days you cannot sail it can get boring, also takes time to stow everything to go sailing.

paul
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

Stu Jackson

Quote from: paule on November 08, 2009, 07:07:50 AMThe space can get small and on days you cannot sail it can get boring, also takes time to stow everything to go sailing.

The C36 Forum recently had a couple asking about living aboard.  Someone there suggested "Keep things stowed so you can still use the boat, it is easy to start leaving stuff out, making it homey, but then you have to put everything away be going sailing."  And this was from someone who'd personally experienced living aboard.

So I wrote this.  

I often hear of folks recommending that live-aboards "don't leave stuff out all over the place so you can go sailing." I'm always confused about that. Rarely have we gone on others' boats where things are so messy that it would take any amount of time to get ready to sail. We keep our boat ready to go all the time (easy to say, we're not live-aboards) but when we're anchored out it's a matter of cleaning up the dishes and putting our wallet, car keys and "someone's purse" (!) away and we're ready to sail. Everything we have down below has been tested over time to stay where it belongs. We don't trash our boat simply by sailing it.

We don't have that much room on our boats down below anyway!

We were on Tracey, Foster & Steve Dolling's boat when they were passing through here on their way to Mexico and they could have gotten underway in less time than it takes most of us to unplug the shorepower cord.

It seems to me that folks who are conscientious sailors do the "everything has its place and a place for everything" routine. It is necessary, I think, for safety reasons anyway: I can find stuff on my boat with my eyes closed.

I would think that, of all people, a live-aboard would already know that, although it was a former live-aboard sailor who was quoted above.

I'd be interested in why you think that live-aboards need to be told to put their "stuff" away.

The smaller the space the quicker it is to get messy and the more impact it has on the quality of the space.  "Homey" doesn't mean "messy" to me, at least.

Funny that it should come up here, too.  I have not yet heard anything back on that C36 topic and would really appreciate hearing more about this "Keep it clean, Johnny" phenomenon.  Paul is the second skipper who has actually had experience living aboard who's said this.  
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Lance Jones

Good point Stu. Even now, with all of our stuff having not found its right home yet, it only took us a few minutes to prepare for an early evening cruise yesterday afternoon. I imagine as I improve the amount of available storage space, the time to prepare to make way will be decreased.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

paule

Lance
We stored alot in the aft berth in plastic totes when I mentioned it took a wile to get ready to sail it was only securing the tv and some small things. Maybe took an extra 5 min.

Paul
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947