Boom Attachment to Mast Rotation

Previous topic - Next topic

bclery

On an '87 standard rig...

Aside from the expected swinging of the boom from side to side, and the ability of the boom to lift and fall a bit; is the boom expected to rotate on its own axis?  for example when on port tack, would you expect the bottom of the boom to be tilted towards the cabin top and the sail groove on the boom to be tilted away?

My boom does NOT twist like this, it is fixed in this axis.  but it is fixed WRONG.  The bottom of the boom is permanently twisted towards Port and the sail groove towards starboard.

Should I twist it back straight?  Or should I fix something so that is freely rotates?

Thanks,
Bill

Ken Juul

mine rotates.  Sounds like you have some corrosion or the mounting bolt at the goose neck is too tight.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jeff Kaplan

i agree with ken. i had the same problem. take the goose neck end off the boom and apply heat or pen. oil to free up the pivot bolt, i had to apply torch heat. once done, the boom will rotate to either tack position. easy job...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

bclery

Stu Jackson

My boom is tilted a bit.  Only thing is I can't fix it.  There's a Garhauer rigid vang attached to the mast and the boom!   :shock:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."