Stanchions not fastened

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

I just removed my stanchions for rebedding and to my shock the port gate stanchion was not bolted down.  The only thing holding was the 4 + 3 screws only secured by the sealant in the holes.  When I removed the trim piece in the head (over the cabinet) I expected to see fender washers and nuts.  Saw nothing but a little sealant drip.  Went up on deck and gave the stanchion a moderate tug and it came right out.
I searched this site and didn't find any references to this.  So I don't think that this is common.
To check it out all thats needed is to remove the trim over the head cabinet.  Need a #1 philips think its about 5 screws.  Then the stanchion and brace nuts should be visible.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Jim, never heard of that one, but I'm sure there are gonna be a lot of readers who are going to check theirs right away!  As far as head trim, remove only what you need to, sometimes just removing the white horizontal cover without removing wood trim is enough to get a socket wrench on an extender arm far enough up to hold the nuts.

Was this a factory stanchion or an add on?  "Cuz "port gate" doesn't sound factory to me.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Lance Jones

Yikes! Did you check the others? One of my projects after moving aboard this weekend is to re-do all the stanchions. Will over size the hole, fill with epoxy and re-drill.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

horsemel

You should not have to remove wood trim to get at the underside of the stanchion.  I rebed all of my stanchions this summer and followed the excellent instructions found on this site and did not have any problems.  It is a tight fit to get at some of them and I definitely recommend having second set of hands to do the job.  If your boat is like mine, you will have wire runs in this area.  Just be careful you don't catch one between the nut and washer and overhead.  Just make the correction, inspect the other stanchions and don't worry about what was because you will make what is correct.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Ron Hill

Jim : As Bill Nuttall would say, "Paco struck again"! 
Ron, Apache #788

Ted Pounds

When you rebed the stanchions I recommend you make some sturdy backing plates for them.  I used aluminum bar stock because it's easy to work with.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Roc

What I noticed, and find it to be rather odd, my bow pulpit is not through bolted.  In the v-berth there are no bolts in the areas where the pultpit mounts are, at all four points.  Seems like they are just screwed in.  Does anyone notice the same?
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

c34no1471

I replaced my bow pulpit a couple of years ago.  It was (and is) screwed into the deck, and not through-bolted.  It seems that the screws go into a fiberglass/sheet metal "sandwich" base built into the deck.

George Alberts
Breezing Up
Catalina 34 MK II
Hull No. 1471
George Alberts
Breezing Up, Catalina 34 MKII
Hull No. 1471
Chesapeake Bay