AutoMac

Previous topic - Next topic

zielinski

I have a Newport 30 that came with an AutoMac and I googled the name and came across both this forum and Stu Jackson's name.  I've read his posts and have a better idea on the necessity of the Automac but if anyone has a manual for the use I'd really appreciate it.  I'd be happy to turn it into a PDF so it can be posted somewhere too.

Thanks.  I'll be checking back for responses.

Bob Zielinski
Bob Zielinski
Grand Island, NY
1980 Newport 30 Mark II

Ron Hill

Bob : You're 19 years too late.  I gave my manual away with the AutoMac, when I got smart and got a Hi Output Alternator.  
It (AutoMac) makes an OEM alternator do what that OEM alternator was not made to do !  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Bob, I have the manual and have it scanned as a PDF.  The manual basically su*ks on how to use it.

What's this "teaser" mean?  I've read his posts and have a better idea on the necessity of the Automac

While the technology is 19 years old, it's not the high output alternator that's the issue, it's the new external regulator, which are two separate pieces of equipment. 

Its function and use are still applicable for people who know how to use them.

Here's how it should be used (unedited version of something I sent to someone years ago; may have already been posted):

June 3, 2000
Here is the Automac manual and my wiring diagram link (Reply #23, http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4623.15.html), looks more like a cartoon!
The trick with the Automac is to use it manually just like the three stage chargers do automatically.  Start with the rheostat turned down and the switch off.  When your engine starts, the alternator is going to want to put out as much as it can because it sees the batteries need to be charged (unless you've just disconnected your shorepower and the batteries are fully topped off.)  Don't turn the Automac on just yet; you don't want to immediately load your alternator.  In fact, the amperage output may be pretty high to begin with, all by itself.  Wait until the amperage goes down a bit after you start the engine.
After the initial startup, say about five minutes, and only after you're running the boat at cruising speed, start the Automac. (The reason you want to wait until you're motoring at cruising speed is simply to avoid having to constantly change the Automac settings, which change at different engine, and therefore, alternator RPMs.)  Turn the switch on with the rheostat still turned all the way down.  What you (personally – so much for "Auto...") need to do is balance the voltage and the amperage.  The volts should be on your electrical panel, or have a voltmeter connected to the batteries.   Slowly turn the rheostat up until you get to 14.0 to 14.2 volts on the voltmeter.  As you are doing this, both the voltage and amperage will be rising.  Watch the amperage rise.  Do it in this order for this reason:  the Automac will automatically shut off if you exceed the preset (but adjustable) voltage setting. The adjustment on the Automac is most likely set for 14.2 or 14.4 volts.  [The manual includes instructions as to how to adjust it.  Don't bother with this yet, and you may likely never have to.]  So, the trick is to set the Automac based on voltage, with the resultant rise in amperage.  Don't set the amperage first, because the voltage rise may cut it out automatically.
So let's say your batteries are pretty well charged, but not full.  Run the Automac to maximize the charge voltage.  You will see that the Automac raises the amperage at that rising voltage.  What it is doing is "fooling" the alternator and increasing amperage.  The trick to charging batteries is balance BOTH the voltage and amperage.  To check it out, once you've reached the right voltage, just turn the Automac switch off without moving the rheostat knob.  You should see the amperage drop.
As the batteries get charged while you are motoring, the voltage will continue to rise because of the "inflated" amperage you are giving them thru the Automac.  You'll need to keep checking and slowly turn down the rheostat, which will reduce the amperage and the voltage, or else the Automac will turn itself off as the voltage rises above the preset 14.something volts.  That's why the three stage chargers are better because you don't have to continually manage the charge.
Once you're fully charged, don't forget to turn the Automac switch off. It draws 2 amps whether the engine is on or off.  Doesn't matter what position the rheostat is in, but I got in the habit of turning it counterclockwise and off as a matter of habit.
Have fun, any questions, let me know.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."