BOAT IN THE MUD

Previous topic - Next topic

horsemel

We have had a two day blow here in Ohio with gusts to 43kts. out of the west and SW.  Our marina in West Harbor on Catawba in the Western Basin of Lake Erie normally has 8 or more feet of water.  Last night we had less than three and Blue Moon was sitting in the mud as the wind has blown most of the water out of West Harbor.  A friend sent a picture on my cell phone but can't figure out how to get onto this post or I would sent it.  Boat appears to be fine and with the wind down today I am hoping water flows back in for the weekend.  Thank heaven for floating docks.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Stu Jackson

Mark, that sucks, NPI!!!  See reply #2 here to find out how to post photos here: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3701.0.html

I have a picture of our depth sounder reading 2.3 when we hit at 4.4!  That was a low tide day that we knew was coming.  

Mud sucks, but it sure beats rocks and hard sand.

If you don't know what your depth sounder is "calibrated" to, head on down to the boat as the water rises.  When the boat goes "POPZZZZZ" just read the depth sounder.   :shock:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Mark : I hope that you have a wing keel.  I had the same thing happen to me 15+ years ago with 60 kts of wind in Virginia.  
My wing keel C34 was the only sailboat in the marina that was straight up - all of the others were on their sides!!  
Ron, Apache #788

RV61

Mark,
Got an update last night the water is back in West Harbor. Guys on the fixed docks at Herl's needed a ladder to get on and off the boats. I have pictures on my home computer and will try to post later this evening. I understand no damage at Herl's
not sure about NE Port.
Rick
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Phil Spicer

Mark,
I am in Sandusky Bay. By the time I got to the boat yesterday the water was back. Even the c38 next to me was floating. I did see some harbors WITHOUT water, but just power boats in the mud. Wind is still 20 so the water is only down about 2 feet from normal. Should be better tomorrow as the wind quietsdown. Plan to take off the sails & pull tomorrow before vacation & the Annapolis show.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

RV61

Picture of the low water at the fixed dock.
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

RV61

One more.
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

horsemel

Ron, you are right about the winged keel.  Blue Moon just sat there nice and straight.  Rick is right next door in Herl's Harbor so we sort of shared experiences.  I have not heard of any damage in our marina, but I believe there will be plenty of stories this weekend.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Roger Blake

Very interesting...had the opposite problem on the Chesapeake last weekend...water was blown into the bay and marina...never have seen my boat so high before...almost needed a ladder to get aboard.
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414