Converting from Compressed Natural Gas to Propane

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

Thanks for the responses guy's. How much does the bigger tank cost Ron?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ken Juul

Lance,
When I upgraded mine I found two sources.  Your local propane company.  They pulled out the catalog and said special order, maybe 2 weeks plus the fill up.  Tried the local RV store, instock, first fill was free.  Don't recall the price, but think it was in the $35-40 range.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Lance Jones

Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

pablosgirl

Hi Jon,

I would also be interested in purchasing your CNG tank and stove bits in case you are converting to Propane.  my email is pshields2@nospam@comcast.net  just remove the @nospam to get the real email.  Stu's suggestion to keep down the spam mongers.

Thanks,
Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

Lance Jones

Ron,
In converting to the bigger tank with the OPD valve, won't I have to convert the hose that goes from the solenoid to the tank? Do you recall if there was a simple adapter to convert the existing hose to a quick change hose?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ken Juul

I don't remember having to change the hose.....but it's been many years since I did the upgrade.  The safe bet would be to take your existing hose with you, if it doesn't fit the store can probably set you up with the right one/mcgiver it for you.  Remember the first time you use the stove after breaking the connection you will probably get a flame out when the air bubble passes so you will have to relight.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

tonywright

The new tanks have two sets of threads. So they still fit the old style connectors as well as the new style. I think that this was your question?

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Lance Jones

:clapThanks for all the help. I'm going to an interim solution. I have purchased a new 5lb tank (taller by 1-2 inches) and swapped out the connector for the new twist on type. The taller tank will be accommodated by adding a splice to the current box at the top to gain the added height. I'll also be working on building a new taller box that will be along the lines of Ron's project. I'll keep y'all updated.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Stu and Guys,
On  my boat the solenoid is actually in the propane locker. The switch is in the galley.
Is this standard?

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Lance Jones

Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Mike and Joanne Stimmler on September 24, 2009, 12:49:40 PM
On  my boat the solenoid is actually in the propane locker. The switch is in the galley.Is this standard?

Mike, I have CNG, but asked Steve Dolling on Monday and his is like yours.  Sleep tight :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Lance : I wrote the propane article (mid 1990s) on how to build a new bottom box and use all of the existing components including the old lid!!  I believe that it's also in projects with pictures!!!  

You need to build the box with the new bottle in hand.  Then install it and you'll be good to go.  You'll almost triple the amount of propane you have on board. A new 12 lb botle is about $35.   A thought

Look in the Galley section of the knowledge wiki for Ron's project, there is also instructions for the MK 1.5.  KJ
Ron, Apache #788

Ted Pounds

Quote from: Mike and Joanne Stimmler on September 24, 2009, 12:49:40 PM
Stu and Guys,
On  my boat the solenoid is actually in the propane locker. The switch is in the galley.
Is this standard?

Mike

I believe it's required to be that way.  You want to be able to cut off the propane as close to the source as possible, because the solenoid can't control any leaks between it and the bottle.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

If you don't have Calder's two books (Boatowner's Manual and Cruising Handbook), then West Marine online advisors (or their catalog) and BoatUS's website, resources & references, technical library and Don Casey, are always two very good sources to answer questions like this:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/westadvisor/10001/-1/10001/Propane-Systems.htm

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/18.htm

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Lance : I see I missed one of your questions. 
I'm not too sure about a quick disconnect adapter for the hose?, you'd have to ask a propane filling station about that - I'd guess that they have them.  I have installed an adapter in a tank so it would fit the quick disconnect hose fitting. 
Ron, Apache #788