Catalina 34 Production

Previous topic - Next topic

horsemel

Our C34 neighbors were volunteering at the Cedar Point Boat Show this weekend and said that the Catalina rep told them that Catalina is still producing C34's on a by order basis.  He told them that Catalina still has the molds and due to the popularity of the boat that they are still building them on an as ordered basis.  However he said that the C36 is completely kaput for any new production.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Stu Jackson

Thanks, Mark, for that report.  Good news, I guess... :shock:  For earlier discussions on this subject, the easiest way to get there is a search on "production" -- it'll get a couple of other topics, but this discussion is usually right in the topic Subject.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Bob K

Mark,
Adding to your comment.... I happened to be in Largo this week and took the factory tour. I asked our tour guide the C34 production question, and he said they need to get a number of orders before they will make a production run.  So one or two orders is not enough to start the C34 line.  Like other past models (such as C30), the C34 model could carry on many more years but at relatively low volume.  The dealers place the orders to the factory, so they drive what gets built.  The Largo plant recently received the C34 molds from Ca.  All C34s to date were mfr'ed in Ca,  but any new ones will be made in Fla.  For those interested, the tours are Wednesdays at 3:30 after most workers leave for the day.  Takes about an hour.  Just show up at the door.  (Good luck finding a phone # to call ahead).  Well worth it.
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay