Ice maker

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

Man, did I make my wife happy! She is an advocate of, "There can never be too many ice cubes!" So, as an anniversary gift, I picked up a small ice maker at Home Depot. It just fits on top of the starboard hanging locker. It's 110v; but, it only takes a few minutes to make a gallon zip-lock bag full of ice. I guess if we were to add an inverter... Really great accessory.

Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Susan Ray

so where are the pictures??
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

Stu Jackson

...to say nothing of the make, model number, place to purchase, sales receipt number, credit card number, authorization cod...ooops! :shock:

Oh, and the wiki!?! :clap

Susan, he's just teasing us... :donno:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Lance Jones

As to pictures, not yet as I'm not 100% as to where the final location will be. However, I did get it at Home Depot and here is the info on it.

Perfect for parties and entertaining, this stainless steel portable ice maker makes ice in as little as seven minutes. Choose from three ice cube sizes, add water and this machine does the rest. Digital control panel indicates when ice container is full or when to add water.

* Makes ice in 7 minutes
   * Makes 30 lbs. of ice cubes in 24 hrs.
   * 4 lb. capacity
   * Compact countertop size
   * MFG Brand Name : Magic Chef
   * MFG Model # : MCIM30SST

It was priced at $179.00. Not a bad price for my wife's happiness.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ken Juul

Lance,
Does it have a water source or do you pour pitchers of water into it?  What kind of power draw?  For home use so guessing it is AC powered....or does it have a built in power converter to accept 12v dc?
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Lance Jones

Ken,
You have to pour water into it; but, we carry lots of bottled water anyway. Now we will carry a 1 gallon jug strictly for the Ice Maker. As to power... it is 110 only.

Like I said, we power it up before we cast off, make enough for the trip (In our case, usually a long weekend), and then go sailing. This ice is only for use IN drinks so we don't need a lot. The A/B fridge and the Engel Freezer keeps everything else perfectly cool, cold or frozen. In order to make enough for the weekend, we normally run it for about 30-45 minutes while we make preparations to depart. So, by the time we have the motor running, everything stored, and all made ready, my wife has enough ice to keep her happy.  :thumb:

It was funny, we threw out the first couple of batches of ice to get rid of any foul taste that may have resulted from residual stuff in the machine. However, after that, Kitty was almost complaining because she was running out of containers to store the ice in.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Bobg

I have the same exact one on my boat, we love it, we put it under the nav station.  havn't bought ice all summer.  we just fill it with on board water.  I do believe it is listed at 160 watts and 2 amps, we havn't tried it with the inverter.  I have a 1750 xantrex, wouldn't that 2 amps be considered 12 amps through the inverter?  Anyway we wouldn't be without it, we got it for $149.00 at home depot last winter. doesn't take long to fill a few bags for the freezer when we go out.
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Lance Jones

Bob,
We would put it under the Nav Station but, our Engel Freezer is there.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Bobg on September 22, 2009, 07:38:15 AM
I do believe it is listed at 160 watts and 2 amps, we havn't tried it with the inverter.  I have a 1750 xantrex, wouldn't that 2 amps be considered 12 amps through the inverter?  

That would be 20 amps, it's a 10:1 factor, reason is 12 V vs 120 V with an inefficiency factor.

Help me understand why you have a 160 watt appliance with a 1750 watt inverter and choose not to use the inverter?  If it takes 30 minutes to make ice cubes, at 20 Amps that's just 10 AH out of your house bank, or two hours of running a fridge.  Please, somebody check my math... :sleepy:

Ted Pounds

Don't need to do the amp conversion; watts to watts works regardless of the voltage.  So Stu is right - a 160 watt appliance will run just fine on a 1750 watt inverter.  (And his math is correct.)  Just a thought...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

Thanks, Ted, we agree on the watts part.  I was asking for a check on the conversion of amps in A.C. to D.C. amps draw over time converted into amp hours drawn from the house bank.

Ken Heyman

Stu,Ted & all

this is actually one of the "AC -DC " discussions I can follow. the math is right- (basic Ohms law works. )

'Watts" the difference,

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Bobg

Stu, your right, I should have said 20 amps, it is true that at 30 min for cubes, it is just 10 amp hours, but, the unit isn't that big so it should be kept on a considerable longer time than that, maybe several hours, to make ice for say a cooler for the beach, or to make a few bags.  If you need ice for an occasional cocktail while at anchor, it is perfect. I try to minimize the drain on my batteries if out for a few days.  Although I have used the inverter for a tray or two, all being said, I sure like the outfit.
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Susan Ray

Thanks Lance for photo...I will check it out.
Mahalo,
Susan
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii