Gaskets around lid on icebox/fridge

Previous topic - Next topic

tonywright

Anyone have a recommendation on how to better secure the gaskets around the icebox lid? Is there a better adhesive, or some other method?

Not quite sure what was originally used to hold them in place, but it looks like some kind of double sided sticky foam tape. The gaskets slowly slide inward over a few lid openings, and need to get pushed back into place to get a proper seal.

Or am I the only one experiencing this problem? A search on the site turned up nothing.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Jack Hutteball

Tony,
Mine did not have the double stick tape, but the adhesive did come loose on one side.  I used a 5 minute epoxy and glued it back in place and have had no problems in the last two years.
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

tonywright

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Roc

Anyone have a source to get the gaskets used on newer 34's?  (the ones at Home Depot, weatherstipping, don't seem to be as good or fit as well as the kind seen on newer C34's).  I remember seeing it at boat shows, a black hollow tubing that runs around the indented area where the hatch sits.

Thanks!
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

David Arnold

I used a gel super glue with very good results. 
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Roc on September 09, 2009, 04:26:39 AM
I remember seeing it at boat shows, a black hollow tubing that runs around the indented area where the hatch sits.

Try an auto parts store, window or trunk gasketing material.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

The MKIs don't have a gasket inside their fridge lid.  However, most of us have a thermal pad that sits on the entire formica top over the fridge to keep the cold IN.  
The MkII owners might just want to do the same thing.  That pad really does work.  A thought    
Ron, Apache #788

BlueWind

I have a MkII and the gasket needs replacing, but tell me more about the thermal pad. Do you mean like a large hot pad that simply is placed over the refrigerator lid? Thanks. Carl

Ron Hill

Carl : Yes, it's like  LARGE hot pad but has special insulation.  Mine is 27" x 19" and SITS OVER THE entire counter top over the fridge. 
I wrote that up in the Mainsheet tech notes back about 1997/98.
Great ideas in those old tech notes. 
Ron, Apache #788

BlueWind