Cockpit ignition panel

Previous topic - Next topic

rappareems

I had some trouble with my oil pressure alarm staying on with the engine started and some trouble with the starter button not always connecting on the first push this past season.  I have concluded it is time to replace the panel... any suggestions?

Mark
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

Stu Jackson

Why?

Starter button: could also be the fuse that's underneath the alternator and goes to the starter solenoid from the start button.  The fuse holder dies after 22 years.  See this:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4556.0.html

Oil pressure alarm:  Check the connections at the engine end and check the continuity of the wiring.  There was also a post recently that Ron responded to about oil pressure alarms and panel wiring.  Do a search, I think Lance posted the question.  Maybe he'll remember and chime in here.

Sure you can spend $$ on a new panel from Seaward, but why do it if you don't have to?  The gauges cost a lot of $$ and if they still work, why change?  We love our 23 year old cockpit panel, as well as our electrical panel in the nav station - they just don't make 'em like that anymore!
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

A cheap cosmetic upgrade to the ignition panel is to replace the plexiglass covering.  I got a piece at Ace hardware for a couple bucks.  What a difference :clap
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Oh shucks, you gave away the secret!  We remove and clean the plex cover and the panel and gauges every four years or when we can't see 'em anymore, whichever comes first! 8) 8) 8)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Craig Illman

Mark - You can also buy the panel from Seaward without the gauges for maybe around $100. You can replace your starter button itself for about $20. Your alarm issue may take a bit of troubleshooting, but I don't think it would make noise unless current is passing through the sensor to the alarm at the panel. I'd suspect the sensor.

I replaced my panel because the 90-91 boats had an anemic electronic alarm that you could barely hear over the engine noise. I also added the separate high engine temp sensor at the thermostat housing. No regrets except that we swapped the start button and key positions to make it less likely to hit the key with your foot on the port cockpit seat.

Craig

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Craig Illman on September 21, 2009, 02:13:33 PM
...except that we swapped the start button and key positions to make it less likely to hit the key with your foot on the port cockpit seat.

Great idea.  Better yet:  remove the key requirement itself altogether.  One way: by pass wiring around; other way:  remove key position hardware and fill the hole with something.  Then key something down below so once you turn the power switch(es) ON, there's still a separate key for "security" but no0t up in the cockpit to get kicked around~ :D

Ron Hill

Mark : Go with Craig's suggestions.
Ron, Apache #788