Buyers Beware

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

My latest project is to install a stern shower.  I found the box and faucet assembly, missing the hose and hand sprayer at a marine yard sale for $10.  It is distributed by Scandvik, I thought what a deal.  Looked in Defender for the missing pieces, $114 for just the hose!!!  A little more research revealed that the input lines are 3/8" NPT threads and the output is 3/8" BPT (British Pipe Threads).  The US standards seems to be smaller for sink sprayer hoses and 1/2" for RV shower hoses. 

I'll figure out and post a work around, just beware if you are buying products from Scandvik, especially plumbing to double check for compatibility before buying.  Not dissing Scandvik, they are well represented at all the boat shows and have some great products.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Bobg

Ken, I have a shower from whale still in the box with a future installment plans.  Where do you plan on putting yours?
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Ken Juul

I have a walk thru transom.  I'm going to put it on the port side of the walk thru where the red star is on the picture.  Will route water hoses from head sink around the fuel tank then around the propane box to the faucet.  Boat is not mine, borrowed a picture from Yachtworld.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ken Juul

It turned out the BPT is close enough to NPT that I got a fitting to fit.  Used alot of pipe dope to help ensure no leaks.  Whole install took about 2.5 hours, was able to route the hoses fore and aft by removing the back wall of the aft stateroom.  Forgot my camera, will get pictures next trip to the boat and document in the wiki.  I am also going to add a sheet of plywood to partition the lazarette. purpose is to keep the shower hoses away from the rudder head and keep bumpers etc from fouling the hoses.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA