Oil Leak - overfill?

Previous topic - Next topic

foursailing

Noticed a small leak - maybe  a teaspoon or two - after a recent oil change and running for a couple of hours.  After a little investigation, it appeared to be coming from the drain tube at the back of the pan.  Also noticed I may have overfilled oil - so I drained about a cup or so, which put the dip stick at just below that max level when the enigne was hot.

After draining, did the diaper test  per previous posts, and did not notice any leaks after motoring for about an hour.  Could overfilling have caused a leak and if so where would it come from?  Does this make sense?

Thanks,

Bill
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

Ron Hill

Bill : A cup of oil overfill shouldn't cause a problem, however 3 or 4 cups overfilled will. 
It sounds like you need to watch the drain tube that's attached to the rear of your oil pan.  It might need tightening or replacing.  Some times that factory press onto the threaded nipple may become faulty.  Try tightening and keep an eye on it. 
Hope this helps. 
Ron, Apache #788

foursailing

Thanks Ron, I'll give it a shot.  It will be a bit of challenge getting back there!

Bill
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ