Wilcox Crittenden Headmate maintenance

Previous topic - Next topic

tonywright

I just finished installing the maintenance kit on the WC Headmate. I had to call Thetford to discover one piece of vital information that was not documented:

When you install the flap valve in the pump assembly, there are four possible permutations of assembly. Only one way works properly:  When it is assembled you should look through the lower (intake) port and see a silver rivet with a plastic washer.

I found that I could not install the maintenance kit without removing the head entirely from the boat. One of the screws at the base of the pump is inaccessible unless you dismantle the bowl. To do this, you have to remove the head anyway. Best tool for doing this: a ratcheting wrench.

I first took off all the small hoses, then took out the three lag screws holding the base. You can then pull the unit forward and easily access the three philips (star) screws holding the outlet/joker valve assembly in place. Easier to unscrew this now rather than pull off the waste tubing, which is very stiff. 

Hope this helps someone doing the job for the first time!

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Stu Jackson

Thanks, Tonly, good input.

That's why most of us realized that it's easier to replace the whole head anyway, 'cuz ya gotta take the whole thing out anyway.

Another important notice:  They STOPPED MAKING THE HEAD MATE unit.  Of course, it was one of the best intermediate heads and actually worked!  Just learned that last month.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

Slightly off topic.  Raritan is now making a kit to retro fit the CPII pump assembly onto an existing bowl.  Saves about $100 bucks.  The Head Mistress gives the CPII the highest ratings of the small marine heads.  More info on her forum on SailboatOwners.com
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA