PHRF difference between STD and TM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjcomeau

I participate in local club "monday night race" (no spinnakers, the real racers don't come out, more fun, good learning).

I have a 1988 TM model and another member has a 1986 STD model (both fin keel) and the club right now has us a 9 sec apart on PHRF rating.

They use the US sailing PHRF HI LO AVG numbers, then adjust for cruising night.

boat          LO    HI     AVG     Club Cruising number
C34 STD    144   159   150      162
C34 TM      135   150   141      153

always 9 seconds apart. I noticed from a few club lists I was able to find, that some clubs only have around 3 sec difference.

Does anybody have multiple C34 boats racing at their club where some are STD and others TM? What is the typical difference.

The other boat always moves as well or better. His sails are in better shape and I think he has bigger genoa/jib. I have a 135%.
Pierre Comeau
Time To Keel, 1988 #687  Saint John, NB Canada

Steve Sayian

Pierre,

The Boston PHRF for my MK II is 180.  I have a wing, std rig 135% genny on roller furling and a 3-blade feathering prop.

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Mert Gollaher

Our Wednesday night beer can races work off the ECSA (Eastern Connecticut Sailing Assoc) ratings, and the base ratings (non-spin) are 169 STD and 163 TM for MkI boats.  There is also a MkII wing with a base rating of 175.  The base ratings are then adjusted for "excess" mainsail girth, the size of the largest headsail used and type of prop, as well as a few other things that generally don't come into play with C34s.  The PHRF for my '87 TM is 170, and an '86 TM in our group carries a 166.  I'm still trying to figure out how a C36 I race against got a 175 - I think I'll need to look that up!

Mert
Mert Gollaher
Avalon Sunset
1987 C34 #405
Tall / Fin
GYC, Guilford, CT

Ted Pounds

The 135 genoa will more than account for the difference, assuming the STD is running a 150.  Also, as the breeze freshens the TM begins to lose it's advantage.  At the point where you have to reef the STD is actually faster. 
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447