CNG to Propane Conversion

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Bain

I may be thick....but have searched for some notes on converting our CNG to Propane on a 1986 C34
The nearest CNG is 3 hours away....with stops last season, it took 7 hours to get it filled....so...time to convert...
Any help would be appreciated!!
Richard
Pazzo # 113
Richard Bain
"PAZZO"
London, ON, Canada

Stu Jackson

Richard

Try this:

http://www.c34ia.org/mainsheet/pdf/11-99_Technotes.pdf

I knew it was there, but had trouble finding it with the main website's search engine, even under "propane."  I didn't do a search on "conversion."

That's why I continue to recommend that skippers COPY the tech notes index(es) and put them on their own  word processor , and use the word processor's FIND function (either F2 or CNTL-F).

That Index can be found here:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3096.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Richard : You need to take some time and read thru the Mainsheet Tech notes on your CD that the C34IA sent you.  Good info in there.  Dave Ewing passed on some great "how to" convert CNG to Propane.  :!:
Ron, Apache #788

Tom Soko

Richard,
Is the closest CNG 3 hours away, or is the closest CNG exchange retailer 3 hours away?  The reason I ask is because a few years ago another C34 owner, Jim Accetta, developed plans to build an adapter to be able to refill CNG tanks at a gas station with CNG pumps for CNG powered cars and trucks (like taxis).  In my area a CNG exchange retailer (of course a marina) is 1 hour away and costs $40.  A gas station that sells CNG is 15 minutes away and the last tank refill cost $1.26.  The adapter costs about $125 to build, but it will soon pay for itself, as you can see.  I was able to contact Jim at accettasails@aol.com.  Good Luck.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Tony Benoit

Hi Tom,

I see that you are in Noank.  I am in Westerly.  Where is the gas station, "15 minutes away," that sells CNG?

There's a boatyard in Westerly that swaps out tanks, but I like the idea (and the price) of just filling up at a station.

Thanks,

Tony Benoit

'89 #903
Helen C

Tom Soko

Tony,
The boat is in Noank, I live in Glastonbury.  The gas station is in Hartford, on Brainard Rd.  15 minutes from home, not the boat.  Sorry for the confusion.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."