Swim Ladder

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Now I get it, very nifty design.  Thanks so much for the idea.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Here's another one I stumbled across while looking for something else!

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4456.15.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Susan Ray

Phil, Would you post a pic of your plastic lumber handrails please. Did you make them? Thanks, Susan
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

jmnpe

Phil,

Which of the several "plastic wood" products did you use on your boat?

John
1988 C34 hull 728
Otra Vez
John Nixon
Otra Vez
1988 Hull # 728

Phil Spicer

Susan & john:
I made the handrails from "plastic lumber." It can be found at plastic lumber.com. Factory location (Akron,Oh.) was a major reason for using this product. Saw the product at the Cleveland boat show. Another company was making swim platforms,Handrails etc. from this product so I gave it a try. Why pay for labor I can do myself.......I'm a teacher, & will allways have more time than dollars. 
Sorry about the poor light when I took the pictures.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Phil Spicer

Wrong resolution , pictures wont post....Will shoot more & try again
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Stu Jackson

Tom Glennon

On Slowdance, we were having difficulty boarding from the swim ladder, so we bought a three-step, stainless telescoping ladder at West Marine.
The first season, I bolted to the bottom rung of the existing ladder with U-clamps, just to see if we liked it, and if it would work as we anticipated it would.
Having found this to be a suitable solution, I had the brackets modified with U-shaped cutouts and welded to the bottom step over the winter, so now when the ladder is in the UP position, the added steps swing over the stearn pulpit and rest downward, behind the helmsman's back.  It is actually comfortable to lean against while under way.
I secure the steps in the collapsed position with a small velcro strap. When deploying the steps, I unwrap the strap, and when I swing the ladder down, the three steps telescope out, making for a nice deep ladder that you can just swim up to, and actually step on while not having to reach up high with your feet.

I would reccomend this modification to all with problems with the short ladder.
As the step bracket is welded to the underside of the bottom step, there are no issues with the ladder "swinging forward" as you have with non-permanent mounted steps/ladders.

Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Phil Spicer

Handrails

Phil Spicer

Finally got the pictures of the handrails. Same plastic lumber as on the swim ladder. This winter I will try to finish the other teak. As you can see, it has not been done.

Braxton

How did you manage to curve the handrail to fit?   Is the product flexible enough that it wasn't an issue?   I can't imagine there is the plastic equivalent of steaming your lumber.
Braxton Allport
1988 #805, Ballou - Tacoma WA

Stu Jackson

Braxton, the "regular" wood handrails are not steamed either.  If you take them off (and I don't recommend doing so, but many do) they lay straight.  That's the way they come from the trees and from the stores.  It's also why it's a real pain to get them back in...

wind dancer

I had our handrails out last winter to strip, varnish, and rebed and they kept their (curved) shape for the month they were out of the boat.  They had been in place for 21 years at that point.  I can imagine newer ones being a pain to reinstall.
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

Phil Spicer

Braxton: Once the plastic lumber is cut into the handrail shape it is easy to bend.

Susan Ray

Beautiful handrails and swim-step extension...wish you taught here! Thanks for the pics..
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii